74 ranchero refresh

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Dan the ranchero man, Dec 20, 2018.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Damn, winter just isn't letting go in the Midwest this year!

2. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

I took those photos this morning and the snow had just started about an hour before. it is still snowing now and the we have about 5-7 inches of wet heavy snow on the ground. Funny thing is buy the same time tomorrow most of it will be gone. (I hope sunny and 50 predicted) here is one of the same shots taken over 6 hours later.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  3. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

DAN ,
    Its like having a few days off from school - enjoy a little rest , you been working hard and it shows, stellar job on your refresh /ANDY
    I like the pictures ,but you can keep the snow

4. Dan the ranchero man

What a difference a day makes! It is 50 degrees and most of that snow is gone! Went out to barn and worked on the timing adjustment for the ranchero. Ran it back even more now initial is @ 25 BTDC. vacuum sit solid @ 14 Hg Still idles nice pretty responsive. temp in this weather never went up over 185 degrees :). Will test drive tomorrow with all the snow melting the streets are very wet and as you can guess the township took advantage of the situation to unload a few more tons of salt! Keep ya all posted on the out come. Take care Dan

5. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Overdrive

I am always keeping a close eye on the timing! A couple good romps on the throttle will mess it up. Seems to be getting better with use, but... On my 428CJ, my initial is in the 24-26 BTDC, my total timing is 32-34 BTDC, and still hold 20+ hg Vacuum. I might get Brittany out on Thursday or Friday after three weeks of April Showers!

6. Dan the ranchero man

Took her out for a nice ride today. Timing set at 25 degrees BTDC temp outside today 65 degrees. All around driving is very pleasant engine temp went up to 190-195. The high temp is when cruising at 70-75 MPH or an open throttle acceleration then it would cool back down to 190. I will drive it around for awhile and see if I like it. engine was way more responsive with the timing set up higher but I don't want trouble when the temp outside hits 80 degrees and over. power is good but not as good as I would expect from this engine. The other rancheros 460 has a much nicer low end response and that is with a 2.50 rear end gear. if anyone has any suggestions throw them out there would be glad to hear what you have to say.

ForistellFord likes this.