74 ranchero refresh

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Dan the ranchero man, Dec 20, 2018.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Damn, winter just isn't letting go in the Midwest this year!

2. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

I took those photos this morning and the snow had just started about an hour before. it is still snowing now and the we have about 5-7 inches of wet heavy snow on the ground. Funny thing is buy the same time tomorrow most of it will be gone. (I hope sunny and 50 predicted) here is one of the same shots taken over 6 hours later.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  3. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

DAN ,
    Its like having a few days off from school - enjoy a little rest , you been working hard and it shows, stellar job on your refresh /ANDY
    I like the pictures ,but you can keep the snow

4. Dan the ranchero man

What a difference a day makes! It is 50 degrees and most of that snow is gone! Went out to barn and worked on the timing adjustment for the ranchero. Ran it back even more now initial is @ 25 BTDC. vacuum sit solid @ 14 Hg Still idles nice pretty responsive. temp in this weather never went up over 185 degrees :). Will test drive tomorrow with all the snow melting the streets are very wet and as you can guess the township took advantage of the situation to unload a few more tons of salt! Keep ya all posted on the out come. Take care Dan

5. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Overdrive

I am always keeping a close eye on the timing! A couple good romps on the throttle will mess it up. Seems to be getting better with use, but... On my 428CJ, my initial is in the 24-26 BTDC, my total timing is 32-34 BTDC, and still hold 20+ hg Vacuum. I might get Brittany out on Thursday or Friday after three weeks of April Showers!

6. Dan the ranchero man

Took her out for a nice ride today. Timing set at 25 degrees BTDC temp outside today 65 degrees. All around driving is very pleasant engine temp went up to 190-195. The high temp is when cruising at 70-75 MPH or an open throttle acceleration then it would cool back down to 190. I will drive it around for awhile and see if I like it. engine was way more responsive with the timing set up higher but I don't want trouble when the temp outside hits 80 degrees and over. power is good but not as good as I would expect from this engine. The other rancheros 460 has a much nicer low end response and that is with a 2.50 rear end gear. if anyone has any suggestions throw them out there would be glad to hear what you have to say.

ForistellFord likes this.
  7. Dan the ranchero man

Drove the Ranchero to Lake Delton, Wis last weekend (2 hr ride) and worked out a couple more bugs. had a vibration at about 70 MPH found it fixed it. the lugs on the rear wheels needed re-torquing problem gone. Car ran fantastic all weekend (temps outside in the low to mid 60's) Driving home on Monday afternoon we saw 80 degrees! Engine would not idle nice (Old Carb issue rearing it's ugly head) For some reason when the temp out side is above 75 and you have been highway cruising for more than 30 min car will not idle nice. Engine temp was no higher than 190 and I have a phenolic spacer between the carb and the manifold. Don't feel like rebuilding the carb (maybe later ) so a new one is on order. Let you all know how it all works. take care Dan

8. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yeah, even with a phenolic spacer, if the carb soaks up underhood heat (possible but not probable) or the inlet line's too close to a high heat source (quite probable), you can have idling problems. Does this rig have dual exhaust? If so, it might be having a vapor locking problem, and insulating the fuel delivery line might be necessary.

9. Dan the ranchero man

yes on the duel exhaust and this carb did not start doing this until a couple of years ago. I have been using this carb on the car (rebuilt once) for about 18 years now. Nothing in the engine configuration has changed until this refresh that was just done in Dec. The engine runs cooler and smoother over all and the fuel lines are dress away from the exhaust area.

10. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Dan,
    I realize this may be a bit late, but to help with heat issues I used a valley pan gasket for a 460/LP gas application. I believe I used a Fel-pro MS96044, really has helped with carb bowl fuel boiling. I went round and round with my vapor lock issues being in central Florida and all, I tried insulating fuel lines, phenolic spacer, a better mechanical fuel pump(Edelbrock 1726), plumbing in a fuel return line, the valley pan and nothing 100% cured my VL issue until I removed the mechanical FP and installed an electric fuel pump that pushes the fuel forward. I firmly believe that todays oxygenated fuels are very sensitive to having a vacuum placed upon them(mechanical fuel pump) and an application that is close to vapor lock issues already(big engine not a lot of extra "cooling" room) tips the breaking point. I am currently using an Edelbrock 1791 installed near/under my fuel tank and has been rock solid for 5 years(it'll quit tomorrow-:confused:). The VL issues also lead me to installing my dual electric fans and adjustable fan controllers, I can now "tell" the fans when to cool and at what temp to shut off instead of relying on an un-adjustable clutch fan(then ones I tried didn't engage until intake manifold water temps reached 195', sort-a verified with infrared heat gun), one of the best mods I ever did to my ride. Not sure if a blocked heat riser of the LPG valley pan will be ultimately beneficial seeing that you live in a colder climate, but you could partially open the blocked riser with a 5/16" drill bit to help with low temperature warmups. Hope this helps.

11. Dan the ranchero man

Thanks for the advice. But the 79 has the same 460 with a PI cam from a 68 429 that engine too runs at 190 degrees BUT that is running the Holley 600 CFM vacuum secondary carb and that has absolutely no issues at all with heat or VL or any kind of drive ability issues. I have noticed that when the "carter/ edlebrook" carbs age a little they develop 2 issues. 1) is the problem with the heat on days over 80 and 2) if you take a hard turn the car may stumble slightly. again brand new no trouble but once they are about 5 years old "things start changing". The carb that was ordered was the same one I have on the 79. If that does not fix the problem then I might try the electric fuel pump.

12. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

That's odd. I have an Eddy 1405 on a 352 in my '67 F250. It's been humming for 6+ years. In fact, I drove it 200 miles to pick up my Ranchero, then turned around and drove 200 miles back, in 100+ degree temps. There are Edelbrock guys, and there are Holley guys, just like Ford vs Chevy, but there's nothing wrong with an Edelbrock design.

Joseph

13. Dan the ranchero man

I didn't say there was anything wrong. In fact I really like these carbs because they run great right out of the box and I get a lot of service out of them. If you read the posts I have had this carb for over 18 years and was rebuilt about 5 years ago. I have had both Holley and and Carter/Edlbrook designs and both have worked well for me. Remember these cars can get up to 6000 miles a season put on them! I love to drive them and I do! So some of the issues are actually from wearing out not problems with any one design.

14. Dan the ranchero man

Been driving the ranchero this week (out on vacation beautiful weather this week) and so far the Holley has been performing quite well. I do need to up the accelerator cam to the next color (brown) and then test drive but guess what......... IT'S DAMN SNOWING AGAIN!!!!!!! We are looking at one of the latest spring snow falls in 30 years (I remember that last one too) anyway 6-8 inches before it is over and the front yard will look like the last photos I posted. So test drive later this week (sigh, when will winter go away? )

15. aquartlow

Hey Dan,
    It's 80 degrees and clear down here in central Florida :p. But you will have much better cruising weather when we are in the upper 90's with 100% humidity, which will be rather soon :rolleyes:. It sounds like you can't catch a break weather-wise, good luck with the carb "tweaking".

16. Dan the ranchero man

There is a saying "if you don't like the weather in Chicago wait 10 minutes and it will change" this spring that has proven to be the truth! We have had spring/summer/winter all in about 36 hours a few times already since march. The carb tweaking is going pretty good so far and except for one small "burp" (primary needle valve stuck closed right out of box) the rest has been working quite well. It needs just that "little bit more" from idle at a slow acceleration. If you drive aggressively you will never notice it. Moved the cam up to a pink and it became much better so I want to try a brown so I bought one and well,...... Now it's snowing :mad: so next week (sigh).

17. aquartlow

I have always had good luck with either the white cam #218 or the more aggressive blue cam #427. What size shooter are you using, mine likes a .035" for best double tire fires :D.

18. Dan the ranchero man

I have no idea what size is in this thing. Unless you know what size shooter is used on a stock 600 CFM carb. I am not trying to totally retune this carb. Just want it to run "nice' . It does a great one wheel peel!!! :D Two wheel peel next year when funds allow.

19. aquartlow

20. Dan the ranchero man

I took a 750 Edelbrook off this thing. It ran OK but the Holley is much more responsive off the line runs much smoother at cruising speed and from what i have seen so far is not affected by the heat at idle. So we are heading in the right direction! I have the #31 shooter size.