'76 speedo cluster, tach & clock

Discussion in 'Ranchero Parts for Sale LINKS' started by beerbelly, Nov 9, 2017.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

2. 1978GT

1978GT In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Looks like a mish-mash. Tach is 77-79.

76 Cluster 2017 1109.jpg

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

It is. And something tells me this is a sedan cluster. I think it's the circular painted trim around the gauges.

4. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Well it must work the ammeter is showing a slight charge. Lol

5. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

i agree temp also shows its working ,74-76-with 77-79 tach ???????????????????

6. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

I guess that's why it's so rare....

7. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Fourth Gear

While mine is a 66 the gas gauge is reading the same as mine usually does -----

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  8. andrewok1

yea, they seam to go fast on empty

9. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

A nice blend of 72-79 graphics mixed together to give you the "feel" of a first class junkyard find! :eek: All for the low low price of $230! That is right folks you can have a 77-79 tach and amp gauge (showing a slight charge) and 72-76 clock (I am sure it works :p for that price) and the fabulous preheating temp gauge.

FordR500GT likes this.
  10. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Anyone else notice that the needles are pretty much all different shades?

11. Dan the ranchero man

yea I did they get bleached out from the sun. Plus I am sure that even the era correct gauges are from different clusters. Maybe ONE of those is from that cluster.

FordR500GT and andrewok1 like this.
  12. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Looks like it's missing some mounting ears as well. That white plastic turns to dust eventually. Could also be a re-pop speedo face.

andrewok1 likes this.
  13. andrewok1

YEA,but getting thru the muck on the lens , a ready to sell item , should come with a gallon Windex:D

14. rancheromac

rancheromac In Third Gear

15. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

To get the correct factory "font" on the gauge to match the other gauges, you either have the stock 85 mph or the rather rare 140 mph police speedometers as choices, AFAIK they did not manufacture a 77-79 120mph speedometer. They do make white face gauge "covers" that have the earlier font of the '72-'76 intermediates that will fit the '79 gauge cluster but will require a speedo driven gear change for the 120 speedo markings to match the "actual" vehicle speed, another option is a complete cluster change to get the needed 120 speedo. It may also be a possibility to have a custom gauge covers made to fit the factory gauges and in the 77-79 font but with the needed 120 speedo face, just another option that may be available. Good luck

16. 1978GT

A 74-76 120 mph speedo is plug & play into a 77-79 cluster, no gear changes required.

I did that on my 78, and then added a 74-76 tach converted to 3-wire. Also converted the ammeter to a volt meter and finished off with 74-76 white faces on all the gauges for the complete match.

I think it's a good look, since I prefer the "clocking" of the 74-76 gauge faces over 77-79.

17. aquartlow

Woops, I errored in my reply. What was involved in changing the '74-'76 tach from a 2 wire to a 3 wire?

18. Dan the ranchero man

You don't change it. Grab a signal from the coil and the other side will go to a switched + positive wire. The original 2 wire tachs were in series with the ignition system. But if the tach failed you walk! I chose to hook it up the way I mentioned above. Never had an issue been running it that way for over 36 years

rancheromac likes this.
  19. 1978GT

I sent it to Bob McMullen (Rocketman), along with a 3-wire pigtail I made with the correct terminals soldered on. When I got it back, I just slipped on the connector and that was it.

You can check him out here:
    https://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-tach-all

Dan's solution seems fine, but I preferred to use the original wiring as factory installed.

20. aquartlow

I also use Bob's voltmeter conversion, he also did your tach conversion as well, didn't realize he worked on/modified mid 70's Torino/Ranchero tachs as well. Good to know, Bob does do nice work.