['77 200-6] Camshaft stuck - can't remove

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by 60To63Ranchero, Oct 31, 2011.

1. 60To63Ranchero

60To63Ranchero SITE SUPPORTER- GOLD

Greetings Ranchero Fans,

Regarding the '77 200-6 in my '62 Ranchero, I have pulled the distributor, fuel pump, and timing set, and the camshaft will easily come out about 3/16", but it won't pull all the way out - it stops with an audible "clunk", a fairly solid sound of metal hitting metal.

Some of the lifters are still in because they are stuck in their bores and I was hoping to knock them out from below after I pulled the camshaft out (the oil pan is already off). The oil pump is still in - could that be interfering with camshaft removal? Does anyone have any other ideas of what might be interfering with camshaft removal?

Thank you,
    Bob the Builder

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

The lifters have to come out.
    Use the tool I linked to in your previous post. Buy it, or rent it from an auto parts store.

3. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Lifters out and remove bolts from thrust plate behind the gear, use access holes in gear to reach bolts may be socket head or large philips head

4. 60To63Ranchero

The timing chain, cam and crank gear, and thrust plate have all been removed. Sounds like the lifters are the issue, as Ribald1 said.

Bob the Builder

5. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

The timing chain, cam and crank gear, and thrust plate have all been removed. Sounds like the lifters are the issue, as Ribald1 said. >60to63

+++++++++++++++

I have no idea what the inside of an I-6 block looks like -- is there no way to see any part of the lifter from below? Even with the cam moved that short distance?

If it's fully enclosed, then there is no option but to get the lifters out from the top; the interference you feel is a cam bearing journal hitting a lifter. Naturally, the bearing journals are a larger diameter than the peak of a cam lobe.

6. 60To63Ranchero

Once the lifters came out, the camshaft shared a similar fate.

Thank you,
    Bob the Builder