77 gt steering box

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by jadegt, Mar 1, 2011.

1. jadegt

jadegt In First Gear

major leaking out the pitman arm shaft any tricks to taking it off if i go with just aseal kit can it be done on the car ? thks john

2. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

same seal on mine went out a few years ago..I think an entire rebuilt unit was only like 60 or 70 bux....not sure...but it was easy to replace (3 bolts as I recall) and had warranty.

3. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Usually when that seal goes there is enough wear that a new seal will not last long.
    A rebuild or rebuilt is the way to go.

4. jadegt

jadegt In First Gear

do you have to get special tools for pitman arm or does it just unbolt and unbolt the rag joint and it drops out? ithink their around 110.00 now no big deal just thought i could leave it on the car and pull out the seal it would be easier chances are its been like that awhile thats probily why they quit driveing it

5. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

nothing special I recall...just a heavy piece a brass it pursuade it off the teeth, or wood or some such...

6. Fomoco8

Fomoco8 In Maximum Overdrive

I'd get a Pitman arm puller . Makes life so much easier and if you go rebuilt you'll need it in good condition anyway,,,.I think Advance Auto Parts may have one in their loaner tool program...