78 High School Kid Build

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by Thad Turner, Jun 5, 2018.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Hell, I've been holding the converter wrong...I just use a 2X4 block and a coat hanger....:D

2. Thad Turner

Thad Turner In Second Gear

The only reason there isn't assembly lube on the crank journals is because I will have to take the crank back out for cam bearings. There is assembly lube on the mains tho.

Yes I was thinking the same thing on that gear drive. I will have to wait till I have cam bearings in to be able to check the camshaft endplay and clearances.

Thanks for the tip! I think I'll use that because that's always a pain in the rear when I put my motors in.

3. Thad Turner

Actually, I found a good deal on a 460 so I hope to have one on Sunday. The 315 build continues though, I will only sell it once the 460 is built and in the Ranchero, alongside the C6 that will need to be gone through.

4. Thad Turner

Big Block 460

It appears that faith was on my side and I came across a great deal on a 460 way sooner that I thought I would and well..... I have a 460 now! So I finally have a big block to build on! Before you guys think I'm simply wasting my time and money on a 351 just to get a 460 anyway, I plan to run the 351 for quite awhile, until the 460 and the C6 is fully built, so not to worry! The 351 rebuild should be wrapping up within the next couple weeks, I just need to have my machine shop put cam bearings and freeze plugs in for me sometime soon. I didn't expect to get this 460 this soon so I've gotta stop spending for a bit, but when I get back to it I will be finishing the rebuild and sanding the rest of the hood to get primer on it. Also I picked up a part time job at my local parts store so I'll get a little discount on the small parts store items I need. So there might be some radio silence for a bit while I work to save some money up, but until then here's a picture of the CRAZY difference between the 351 pistons and the 460 pistons, I thought it was pretty cool.

[​IMG]

(In case you can't tell the right side is the 460 and the left being the 351)

5. Thad Turner

Wow I haven't been on here in a while. Not much has changed because I'm at high school full time and also working 25 to 30 hours a week. I hope to use my 5 day weekend to finish the 351 and hopefully drop it in the Ranchero soon. I wanna at least turn it over before winter hits and I have to spend my time in the garage with the heater instead of outside working on floor pans. So this week I'll come out of hiding and have some more updates for you all!