79 302 not starting

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by zerolash, Oct 9, 2018.

1. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Firing order with that cam is indeed the early 302 order, like Andy stated (15426378) - if everything else seems to be in place correctly, then possibly have a rocker (or more than one) adjusted incorrectly, maybe just a tad tight?

2. zerolash

zerolash In Third Gear

Talked to lunati it’s 1,5,4,2,6,3,7,8
    So I will double check.
    Thanks again for the input

3. zerolash

zerolash In Third Gear

So good news I got it to start. I went through the check list and what I had is correct. The problem I am having now is something with the fuel. I switched to a Holley 4bbl 600 cfm carb. I will be honest I don’t know much about carbs. It seems I’m not getting enough fuel so I am not sure if I’m getting enough fuel to carb or something is not hooked up right. When it starts I have to pedal it to get it to run.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Does your choke close all the way?
    I suspect not, as it is disconnected.

5. zerolash

zerolash In Third Gear

So I just need power to it

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  6. pmrphil

And adjust it properly. Power MUST come from a switched 12V source, NOT a wire from the coil connection. ;)

7. ribald1

Isn't that one supposed to come from the stator connection rather than switched battery?

8. zerolash

zerolash In Third Gear

Ok thanks. I will give it a try

9. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

10. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The factory ones are stator-powered, the aftermarket ones are switched 12 volts. It looks like I have to go back to the Edelbrock one I had on Babe's previous carb, so once again, switched 12 volts.

11. pmrphil

Thanks, Jay - you computer literate guys sure are good :p

12. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Easy peasy Phil. Well, except for the "hunt & peck" on the keyboard....

13. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

On a 79 there should be a white wire from the alternator stator already on there. It works better than a switched source as there is no power on that wire until the engine is running. Switched sources start opening the choke as soon as the key is turned so if you are slow about cranking the engine you don't get the full choke action. Stator power works great on any electric choke carb I have owned.

14. zerolash

zerolash In Third Gear

Thanks for all the input I was going to get power from solenoid. Alt sounds better

15. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Uhmmm ... to be clear, it is the change in atmosphere temp that causes the choke to close; adding heat to the bi-metallic spring inside it is what causes it to open. You'll have to hook it to some switched power (key in run position) to make that happen. Those I have used take forever to open in our mild temp changes here. I suggest setting it to just barely close the choke before starting it some morning. Get somebody inside to hold the gas pedal down a bit (to avoid fast-idle cam) before making the adjustment.

16. zerolash

zerolash In Third Gear

So the solenoid would be ok? Or Alt white wire is better? Thanks for the help

17. ribald1

You will get votes for both ways.
    I prefer the alternator as you can get away with a faster opening without the choke opening if it takes a few cranks to get it started.

18. pmrphil

Where on the solenoid is there a switched 12V source? Constant power with "key on". There is battery terminal, big terminal to starter, start terminal, and momentary 12V to ignition terminal, unless I'm missing something.

19. zerolash

zerolash In Third Gear

The 12v from battery to solenoid. I will just go with the alt. wire it’s closer than running it all the way around to solenoid anyways

20. ribald1

About the only place to find key controlled power in the engine compartment is the wire going to the switch for the backup lights if the car utilizes a switch on the transmission.