79 Rachero Seat Removal

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Rick Garretson, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Rick Garretson

Rick Garretson In First Gear

Trying to remove drivers power seat. Access to bolts is behind a cross support bar. Can't get a wrench on it. Am I going after the wrong bolt? Are the back bolts under the carpet?

Passenger seat was EASY, 4 bolts and out. Front bolts on drivers side also easy-peasy.

Struggling. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Are the electric seat tracks moving?
    You might be able to remove the bolts that hold the seat down to the tracks instead of the bolts to the floor?

[​IMG]

3. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Bolts should be in same location as pass side.Run power seat all the way forward to access rear bolts.If seat wont move,you may have to get creative.Offset box wrench,socket with flex head ratchet ect..PB blaster is your friend.

ForistellFord likes this.
  4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Especially from underneath.

5. Freestyle Don

Freestyle Don In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

Welcome to my world. My `79 was very similar. I had to chisel, Dremel the bolt head to remove. Spent a long time doing it. I used never-sieze on new bolt threads on re-install.

6. handy_andy_cv64

Yeah, the one time I took Babe's bench out some 15 years ago, the floors were in better condition, but when I put it back, I Betty Crockered those poor bolts in anti-sneeze. Let's hope it lasted these 16-17 years since then.

7. Rick Garretson

Rick Garretson In First Gear

Thanks for all the replies. I think I see them, but just unable to get to them. The seat seems to be all the way back and all the way down in the back. Therefore, sitting right on top of the bolts and of course, the power seat does not work.

There is no access to the bolts/nuts from the bottom side.

In talking with others as well, I might be able to pull the side cover and manually adjust the seat? Possibly pull the switch cover on the seats and override a battery connection to it to get it to move? I have to admit, I also have not tried just replacing the fuse. That'd be WAY to easy.

Thanks for the feedback.

8. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

I've used some 10 gauge wire and a battery to jumper the motor that moves the seat. There are three motors, one back and front, one up and down (tilt), and one that controls the seat back position. As I recall I jumped at the connector for the control switch. A little trial and error, and you will get it.

The Wrench likes this.
  9. handy_andy_cv64

I can't remember if the '70s seat controls grounded through the seat frame, or have a dedicated ground with the power, like modern seats, but in any case, just a couple jumpers (one heavy-gauge for power) should get you some motion to be able to move the seat. A battery boost box also works as a power source.

10. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Should have 2 wire plug at front of seat that feeds power.Check voltage to see if switch is getting juice.I can just get a offset wrench on nuts,but seat is not all the way down.You may have to make crows foot like tool out of open end tool,or jump power to rear plug to get something to move.
    SAM_4681.JPG SAM_4680.JPG