79, Replacing drip rail weatherstriping

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Ranchero 1979, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Ranchero 1979

Ranchero 1979 In Second Gear

Replacing weatherstripping with NOS and it still leaks at top rear of window. What am I doing wrong? It just slips in the channel with 2 screws at each end. I cleaned every thing and it looks good and door closes very hard.
    I sure hate these little problems.

2. 1978GT

1978GT In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

If the weatherstripping is in place properly, then the glass is out of position. Pull the door panel to adjust the door glass along all three axes.

rancheromac likes this.
  3. Ranchero 1979

Thanks, I didn't even know you could adjust the glass. Will have to look that up, any idea where I can get info on how to do it?

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

It's here on the forum, you'll have to use the search function to find it.

5. handy_andy_cv64

But one thing: verify that your door is not sagging from worn hinges, as my doors are doing.

6. Ranchero 1979

Thanks I will look for it. Just took sons Boxer for a 1/2 walk, its the hill that gets me.

7. Ranchero 1979

How bad is it getting old, I have the repair manual of this lab top. I printed the page I need and will try and get to it tomorrow. My 40 year old son had a small stroke and I take him to a lot of appointments. Lucky for him it has only effected his speech, the bad is he works on air in radio!! But he is making great stride in recovery.

8. handy_andy_cv64

Here's a wish for his full recovery. I have AFib, and stroke has always been a concern for me. I've even had nightmares.

9. Ranchero 1979

Thanks Andy, Worked on it today and now no leaks. Still can not get the window to roll up all the way when door is closed, it must be a fine adjustment so it does not leak and the window will go all the way up. Oh well it is the fun of owning a old ranchero.

10. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

First, spray the surface that touches the glass with a clear silicone spray. Then while you aren't driving the Ranchero, roll the glass up all the way before you shut the door. It takes a while for new weather strips to develop a memory and compress where the glass touches.