87 mustang 302 viscous fan fit a 400?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by lovejoy, Oct 4, 2020.

1. lovejoy

lovejoy In Second Gear

Hi all, can anyone confirm the viscous fan assembly is a straight bolt on fit, to a 1978 GT 400 ?
    The pcd looks to be 2 and 1/16"
    not sure if the stand off spacer is going to position the blades exactly where the standard fan blades are, i.e. half way under the shroud.
    I know going all electric is the best, but most expensive way, but this is an easy bolt on improvement with no extra wiring needed, IF it will fit.... any ideas on that folks?
    Thanks again in advance, from very wet UK

2. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Guessin it should.Running 7 blade off mk7 302 with 72 351C shroud.fan is3.5 inch offset from pump,not sure if 400 has same pump bolt pattern.
    Had to trim shroud a little on sides to clear larger dia. fan blades.Pulls gobs of air,no cooling issues here in desert.Think mustang is 9 blade?
    SAM_4396.JPG SAM_4796.JPG

3. lovejoy

lovejoy In Second Gear

thanks for reply, LSChero, yes, its a 9 blade plastic fan, part # E5ZE-8600-CA

I bit the bullet, and bought it, £27 inc post,
    thats about $35, a good deal I think, will try to
    post a photo of it ... cheers

4. lovejoy

lovejoy In Second Gear

5. LSChero

My fan is for reverse rotation. If the blades are angled the same as my pic,air flow will be reverse!Not sure if 85 5.0 were standard rotation.
    Sorry if I mislead you.Compare angle with your stock fan blade.

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Babe's 351M gave its 7-blade fan unit to the 351W, on a 1979 water pump. That was a direct built-in. But when the water pump went out 10 years or so ago, I not only couldn't get a direct-fit 1979 351W pump, I couldn't get a fan clutch that fit the 7-blade's hub, until the parts gal (yes, a knowledgeable woman found this) found that a Lincoln MK VII LSC fan clutch would fit it, and of course, fit a forward rotation pump for a carved truck 351W. So, try for a Lincoln Mk VII LSC fan clutch, and hope that the hub of it will fit your water pump.

7. lovejoy

lovejoy In Second Gear

LSChero ... I am puzzled ...? why does your engine rotate counterclockwise ... ?!
    From what i can see, its only marine engines that do that, most run clockwise, when viewed from front of vehicle, no?
    So if the blades on this 87 mustang blow forward, instead of suck, i wonder will it be able to cool the rad at idle, once the viscous coupling wax has locked up.
    Perhaps I am the sucker, for buying it, ha ha

8. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Engine still rotates clockwise as viewed from the front. The reverse rotation comes from the routing of the serpentine belt and causes the fan and water pump to turn counter clockwise. You have to consider this when choosing what to mix and match successfully. Want real fun ? Try modifying a true reverse crank rotation 351-W in a Ski Nautique ski boat.

9. lovejoy

lovejoy In Second Gear

hi Hillbilly ! hmmm, well it looks like i made a mistake buying the 87 fan, but doesn't it unbolt from the viscous coupling, so i can do that and refit back on reversed ??
    That looks like a beast under your hood, in your avatar photo !

10. LSChero

As Hillbilly states,routing of belt spins pump in opposite of crank.Message seller tell him part wont fit,ask for refund.Hopefully he hasnt shipped.
    SAM_3931.JPG

11. lovejoy

lovejoy In Second Gear

Hi LSChero, as you rightly said, blades of the 87 Mustang fan are pitched the wrong way....

What will happen if i go ahead and install it anyway, surely at idle, once warm, air will blow FOREWARD thru the radiator, so that should, in effect, help cool it, no?
    Once underway of course, it will fight the incoming air, but if its just freewheeling then,
    does that matter, there must still be air flowing thru the outer edges of the radiator, surely ??
    Not ideal, I agree, but we aren't in desert conditions over here. Average daily temps barely reach 60F, if we're lucky, for the next six months,
    Is this a half a$$ed idea... ???
    I see there is an old thread from 2016 on both the Torino & Ranchero forum about a perfect fan from a Lincoln Mk that fits straight on, also points to an aftermarket fan that is identical;
    HAYDEN 2710
    well, the chances of finding thaat Lincoln here in UK is zero... not sure how easy to find one in USA, but they must be around somewhere.

12. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

No offense intended, but half-a$$ed is pretty close. Don't do it, the outcome will suck.

13. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That Hayden part number sounds familiar; it was a Hayden product I put on Babe.