I thought that this was the most suitable section for a write up on what I've been doing with my Ranchero since I bought it nearly a year ago. Hope this is OK with the Mods? I first looked at it, along with several other things, back in early July last year (2022). I'd decided that I "needed" a truck some time last year but didn't get round to doing anything about it for a few months for various reasons. I kept being drawn back to this one, mainly due to it's looks, though was made aware by the selling dealer that it did want a few bits doing to it to make it roadworthy. I could have bought something up and running with everything done for a bit more, but where's the fun in that? Not only that but you're never sure if the work has been done correctly... Anyway, it's a 1970 Ford Ranchero Squire, though the trim has long since been removed by a previous owner. It originally had a 351W engine with a 2 barrel carb according to the VIN, this has been replaced by a 429ci with a 750cfm 4 barrel Holley. It has a C6 transmission and a 9" rear end with a limited slip differential, suggesting that it was possibly built to have a bit of strip time with, especially with the Recaro seats and a B & M Star Shifter which I've since changed for a Lokar tail mounted one. I had it transported home as the rear tyres were exhibiting signs of age with lots of sidewall cracking and the brakes were interesting to say the least with a pedal that was either low or lower, so it seemed a safer way of getting it the 50 or so miles. It arrived here on August 1st. The seller had suggested that it needed front brake pads, even going so far as to supplying a set with the car, along with a pair of top ball joints which he also reckoned were needed. The old pads were removed but the pistons were really reluctant to return in their callipers, even with the bleed nipples undone. The rubber hoses were also perished and the master cylinder was spitting fluid out when the pedal was pressed. After checking the rears (drums) and finding that the cylinders were weeping slightly, I decided that the correct way would be to just replace the lot, which has now been done. The rotors and drums are the only things that I didn't need to change as they were fine. The steering was also checked at this time as, if any parts were going to be needed, it would be cheaper to order them all in one hit to combine the postage costs. As mentioned earlier, a pair of top ball joints were supplied with the truck. It turned out that only one was needed, the play on the other side was due to worn bushes on the inboard end of the wishbone,. Bottom ball joints were also required though it worked out cheaper to buy the full bottom arm. All track rod and drag link ends were fine though a few of the rubber boots were perished so they've also been renewed. The power steering controller was also replaced as two of the three pipes going to it had been cross threaded at some stage so were weeping slightly. While all these bits and pieces were being carried out, the truck was only moving very briefly in and out of the garage, so lots of stop/start stuff going on. It started to become apparent that something was wrong as it slowly became more reluctant to start. A few preliminary checks all pointed to a failed head gasket which I was pretty devastated about, mainly due to more cost and time involved. Having said that, it had to be done so, as there were a few other jobs which needed doing to the engine, it was time to lift it out. The heads were removed and number 3 cylinder seemed to have it's own water injection system. A lot of cleaning and tidying up later, a full new top end gasket set was fitted and it was rebuilt. One consolation I took from this is that it gave me the opportunity to inspect the bores which were literally like new. It had already been determined on an earlier inspection that both the engine and transmission oil pans were badly dented, so this was the ideal time to replace them, along with new gaskets, oil and filters. An added bonus to this is that it seems to have cured a lot of my oil leaks as the damaged pans must not have been sealing properly. A few other bits have been done, mainly minor stuff like wipers, washers and a bit of interior stuff, but they all add up and it's more ticks added to the "to do" list. This list is still pretty long unfortunately but we're getting there slowly. There are lots of things I'd love to do to this truck though I've stopped for a while at the moment mainly due to the price of stuff. The unexpected head gasket failure didn't particularly help as, apart from a full gasket set, it also cost me a set of Hooker headers due to the fact the old ones fell apart upon removal. Realistically they were rotten but would have survived a bit longer if they'd not been disturbed. The problem with being in the UK is that something simple, like a set of front coil springs, costing $60.62 in the US ends up costing me $182.26 when shipping and duty have been factored in. Basically three times what it would have cost if I was over there. I had every intention of posting a couple of pictures in this post but I can't find anything really suitable as yet so It'll just have to be the one below for now. I'll dig some more out later in the week hopefully.