A/C install

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by lanny, Jan 9, 2020.

1. lanny

lanny In Second Gear

I am going to install an aftermarket A/C in my '73 500 with 351C, 2V and would like some tips and comments regarding Classic Air, Vintage Air, or others, what problems I might anticipate, and what parts/kits may cost. There is no factory A/C in the car so I will be starting from scratch.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

First question we'd need an answer to: are you wanting to install the factory-style parts (evaporator case, ducting, etc.) or just the Mark IV-style underdash unit? As far as compressor choices go, they're all similar to the Sanden compressors; you just need a bracket and pulley kit to drive it.

3. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I looked pretty hard at both before deciding on the Classic Air - my biggest reason was that the Vintage heater box is glued shut, and if you ever need to replace the heater core (which I've heard is frequent :mad:) you need to cut the box apart. The Classic setup went together fairly well, instructions were good, and the fit was about as good as could be expected.

4. lanny

lanny In Second Gear

Handy Andy, I am looking at the under-dash type. pmrphil, about what might I expect for cost?

5. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I didn't do the under dash deal, mine was in place of the original heater box. Cost? maybe $1100 or so.