A drive up PCH through Malibu

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by rfinnegan, Dec 9, 2017.

1. rfinnegan

rfinnegan In Fourth Gear

Another sunny day in Southern California. Took the Ranchero on a drive through Malibu. Here's a taste and again, hopefully YouTube doesn't degrade the quality too much.

LSChero, Saff54 and Hillbilly like this.
  2. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Love that paint color ! Dad had a 70 LTD Brougham in the same color and it literally glowed day or night.

3. rfinnegan

rfinnegan In Fourth Gear

Thanks. I've been trying to figure out what color it is. Ford had a Copper Flame back in the late 60's early 70's, but I can't find any samples of it. The pictures on the internet, as you know, are subject to camera and light quality (among other things), so they are fairly useless.

More recently Chevy had the HHR in a similar color (turns out to be slightly lighter), as did Nissan. I haven't found the Nissan in a touch-up amount, so haven't been able to test it.
    I've also seen a 2010 Explorer or Mountaineer in a similar color. Haven't found that in a touch-up either. But since this car was painted around 2010, I think it might be the right one.

I'm not looking to paint it as the paint is in real nice shape, but there are a couple of places down low where those damn little rocks won the battle and I'd like to touch it up.

4. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Nice of you to add some style and grace to the neighborhoods you rolled thru. Great day for a drive.

5. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

This link shows a (tiny) paint chip.

6. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Nice drive,and no smoke in the sky.What are details on that camera Finn,I gotta have one!

7. 1978GT

1978GT In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

It’s a good thing Bruce, er, Kaitlin Jenner wasn’t on the PCH at that time.

8. rfinnegan

rfinnegan In Fourth Gear

The camera is a Blacksys CH200. It's the first dashcam I've owned and I'm still learning about it. It has a front and rear camera, it's fairly discreet (thin and no monitor), has a GPS unit (for telling where you were and how fast you're going, but not how to get anywhere), several warning features, (lane change, collision, etc), horrible instructions (several features & settings in the app that are not mentioned in the instructions), and some handy parking/security features (motion detection, shock detection, time-lapse setting).
    I got it from Blackboxmycar.com for about $280. Their sie has tons of info on it and other cameras.

Verdict is still out on if I'd buy it again -- still trying to figure out what some of the settings do.

9. rfinnegan

rfinnegan In Fourth Gear

Where's that link?

10. rfinnegan

rfinnegan In Fourth Gear

Yeah, s/he's not the only one to kill and maim on that road. Most of the road doesn't have a turn lane, there's lots of traffic, curves, hidden driveways, cyclists, pedestrians, and cars parked on the side of the road. Conditions most of us would interpret as an "Attention Required" road. Most, not all.

Summer time is the worst. More cars and people stopping in the middle of the road to take pictures of the ocean or houses or someone they think is famous.

11. rfinnegan

rfinnegan In Fourth Gear

It is a bit of a dump. Those people can't even afford yards. All they have in back is a bunch of sand and water.
    $5 million doesn't buy what it used to.

12. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Many roads in that vicinity used to be fun on a motorcycle back in the 70's. I hit a horse on my chopped Honda 305 on Topanga canyon drive in 73. Stupid thing reared up and backed into the road.
    By the late 80's everything became wall to wall people and traffic controls. Last time I went through Venice beach, back in the late 80's, it took me almost an hour on a motorcycle.

13. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Sorry about that. Try this: http://www.paintscratch.com/touch_u...d-Thunderbird-Copper-Flame-Irid-V-(1969).html

Look up "ford copper flame paint" on bing.com; you will find several sources which will mix up from the original formula. Ditzler, ppg and others, and will sell by the gallon, quart, pint, 12oz spray can, or touch up pen. My 65 chero was wimbledon white, an almost refrigerator white; later Ford Wimbledon White is more of a cream color. Supplier sent me the correct one.

14. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Thanks rfinnegan.Was surfing cameras,lot of choices at different price lines.Maybe santa will bring me one...

15. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

Very cool, drove up that way about a month ago, i have some dash footage from that some where, i was in a rental though, and didnt encounter anything that cool. Id have been stoked if id encountered your Ranchero going through there though.