A quick question RE: 460 PI engine

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by handy_andy_cv64, Apr 25, 2017.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

A member of Stationwagonforums is securing a '73 Galaxie ex-PI (New Orleans PD) to use the engine for his '73 Merc wagon until he has its original engine rebuilt, and he has a question: since he doesn't need the full power of the engine, he won't be installing an electric fuel pump, so does the engine have an eccentric for the use of a mechanical pump? He made the point that if it's set up already for a mechanical pump, he won't have to pull the timing cover or hack up his wagon's fuel system to install an electric pump.

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

When an alteration has been made, and you can't ask the person who did the work, you need to check.
    Just take the two fuel pump blank bolts out, stick a rod or long screwdriver in and turn the engine. You will be able to feel the eccentric if it is there.

3. handy_andy_cv64

What can I say? It's what I told him, but he wanted to be sure.

4. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

If he has the engine out it is super simple to just remove the blockoff plate and just look in there. Every PI engine I have seen had the pump eccentric. Some had the single piece version while others had the slip-ring design.

5. handy_andy_cv64

See, that's what I figured, and had said so, but he's excited to get this car and is jumping the gun a bit.

6. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Well, isn't the eccentric on the cam bolt in front of the timing gear? In my case, the 96 with the electric fuel pump factory, that eccentric is not there. Of course I could be mistaken, it happened once. I just had the timing cover off mine and got nervous when I didn't see the eccentric on mine compared to an older engine I was looking at online, and realized that was for a mech pump, so I then wasn't concerned about mine missing anymore.

7. handy_andy_cv64

Yes, that I also gathered, but that excludes the '80s trucks that were carbed but had the in-tank pumps for EFI. Apparently, they didn't pass muster in Cali for EFI, so they stayed with carburetion because they still had the CARB EO number on the Motorcraft Holleys for the previous year's engines. So that was weird, but the eccentrics disappeared on the EFI engines eventually as a cost-saving measure.

8. Hillbilly

What Andy said . I have seen 460 fuelie engines as new as 94 with the excentric but no provision on the timing cover for a pump. 78 was the last year of 460 PI's in cars as far as I know. Got one in a Grand Marquis that has both the mechanical pump on the engine and an electric pump back by the fuel tank. Looks like a Blue Holley electric to me but it came on that car.

9. handy_andy_cv64

So the car is at Joe's house, and using the parts he needs from his wagon, he's working to fire the engine. So as he works on that in his spare time, I thought I'd post up selected pics of the Galaxie, which he nicknamed "Bear" (likely because it was a bear to get it up on the U-Haul trailer). 20170427_135823 (640x384).jpg 20170427_140110 (640x384).jpg 20170430_192759 (640x384).jpg 20170430_192811 (640x384).jpg 20170430_192816 (384x640).jpg

10. ForistellFord

I think I see the problem with the brakes.

uk ranchero and FordR500GT like this.
  11. handy_andy_cv64

Yeah, it uses Flintstones braking.

ForistellFord likes this.
  12. Hillbilly

Haven't seen one of those oil coolers in years. If he doesn't use the 140 speedo I'd like to buy it.

rancheromac and ForistellFord like this.
  13. ForistellFord

What?!?!? Hillbilly, you don't have 10 of them laying around? I'm shocked. Or do you just want #11...

14. Hillbilly

Spares always nice John. Have two big Mercurys with them but only one spare.

15. ForistellFord

That's why I have spare room in my driveway, when you finally decide to give one of your rides a great new home!

16. handy_andy_cv64

Dennis takes everything to "11"

He won't be selling the speedo if he pulls the trigger on restoring the Galaxie. That's something that will be decided way in the future.

ForistellFord likes this.
  17. handy_andy_cv64

So, after popping in the tune-up parts, fuel pump and carburetor on the PI engine, it fires and runs. However, the water pump's locked up, so that'll get replaced by the Barge's pump, with a new belt....

18. handy_andy_cv64

Sorry I haven't updated; Joe put the water pump and fan from the wagon on after flushing the block, and bypassing the heater core. Then he fired it up ran it for about 40 minutes, good oil pressure, no rattling, not smooth, but that's likely fuel as he had to put the wagon's carb on to get it to run at all. So after we discussed it, he has it yarded out and getting ready to do gaskets, seals, oil pump, and timing chain/gears on it.

19. Hillbilly

Andy, every 460 I have been around has an awkward lope that tune-up won't get rid of. I suspect it is the result of fuel puddling up in the intake runners due to the large size of the holes. If a compression check shows good all I can say is ya got's to get used to it.

20. handy_andy_cv64

Of course, fuel injection's out.:D So I take it, the puddling is from lower air velocity? The fuel drops out of the airstream?