A quick question RE: 460 PI engine

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by handy_andy_cv64, Apr 25, 2017.

1. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

I found the mid-70's 460 engines used the Delco style starter, leave that in the trash and get a PMGR starter for a '92-'96 F250/F350 with 460/E4OD combo. They are a direct bolt in with just a simple wiring change in most cases.

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

We're considering that, for both the Barge and Bear. I have one on Babe, and it's soooo much better than the stock starter. You still use the fender solenoid, but now it triggers the starter's solenoid.

aquartlow likes this.
  3. handy_andy_cv64

So I figured out the deal with the bolts that don't have flanges; they're the VIN 'A' main cap bolts. Apparently, Joe didn't keep them with the main caps, and I have zero idea where the Hell those are....*rolls eyes*

4. handy_andy_cv64

We're almost ready to slap the first head on, bolts are cleaned, gotta finish cleaning the block.

5. handy_andy_cv64

*sighs, slumps shoulders* Well, I guess all the bolts I found, that are head bolts, aren't the only head bolts for this block. The outside bolts are longer by a half inch(?) or so. Sonofa...gun.

6. handy_andy_cv64

And the ones I had found, that didn't have a 'flare' on the heads, those are smaller-diameter.

7. handy_andy_cv64

Found the shorter head bolts. Here's where I embarass myself...they were there all along. When I separated out the bolts, I knew at that time there were two lengths, and I had two full sets. Shows you how much I'm paying attention.

8. handy_andy_cv64

So...driver's head is installed, bolts oiled and in, torqued to spec. Passenger head...not yet. We just discovered the lower rear bolt is prevented from going in because of the evap case. Phooey. I do not want to lift that freaking boat anchor of a head to slip it in, as even between Joe and I, it put the hurt on my back, and likely his, too.

9. handy_andy_cv64

I might see if I can rig the cherry picker to lift it, so I can slip the bolt in and put it back down.

10. handy_andy_cv64

With Joe, we were able to lift and rotate the head on the lower front bolt and dowel, insert the bolt, and rotate it back onto the block properly, then torqued it down. That lower rear bolt was so tricky,it broke my 3/4" wobbly socket. Now I gotta find a Snap-On guy....
    So Saturday, I got the valve train installed, and yesterday morning, Joe and I installed the intake manifold:

PSX_20200728_002549.jpg

Starting to look like an engine. I'm dealing with the carb (yes, it's a 4300-D, but it's rebuild it at about $275 or buy a Holley 4160...for about $275), and we have to find all the little parts that go on it. We hope to have it running around the time I get back from Washington State next month.

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  11. handy_andy_cv64

An aside: as y'all know, we popped the 351M from the '76 LTD into the Galaxies so it can be driven around/moved, satisfy the city while we get ready to get it in the garage once the Barge is running and can be tabbed. Well, today we fired it up, topped up the trans, and lo and behold, we were able to drive it around the block! So tonight, we're going to pop the carb, valve covers, dizzy and a few other things onto the PI engine, so we can get it fired up.

12. handy_andy_cv64

Progress pic:

PSX_20200910_153537.jpg

And a request if someone has a spare one of these:

PSX_20200910_153833.jpg

Even though we have a second one we'll be putting on the wagon to get it running, when the wagon's original engine is rebuilt and installed, we'll need a period-correct housing for the wagon. We are gonna order a cheapie Dorman if we can't lay our hands on the other housing immediately.

13. handy_andy_cv64

The carb install's delayed, since we're also having trouble finding the EGR spacer plate.

14. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

I've seen other mid-70's 460 CID Fords with a hole cut in the evaporator case just to handle that right rear lower head bolt. I gave in and removed the evaporator the one time I pulled the heads off my '75 460.

Even if you can sneak that pesky head bolt out with the head, there is the question of how to re-torque that head bolt. Hence, I built this tool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just have to adjust the torque for the added length of this tool.

ForistellFord likes this.