Aargh! and other things from working inside the dash

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by handy_andy_cv64, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Sophie948

Sophie948 In Overdrive

When I broke the shift tube on my 3-on-the-tree C4 I was able to drive it home by going under the hood to shift from park to drive with the emergency brake on. A bit dicey but it worked. I've always found good judgment to be a highly over-rated virtue.

2. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Third Gear

Ah. I forgot to mention that my parking brake doesn't work

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I was pinned by a truck that someone, unbeknownst to me, had put the trans in D when they towed it, and I fired it up from the solenoid. I know, I made mistakes, but that doesn't excuse those fools who towed it from their responsibilities.

4. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Some things are given.
    A firearm is always loaded, a wire is always hot, and equipment is always engaged.

5. handy_andy_cv64

6. handy_andy_cv64

Just so everyone knows, I found my 1979 electrical diagrams. I had them buried under a stack of books and a notebook.

7. handy_andy_cv64

I got a new master cylinder today, along with a quart of brake fluid, so this weekend I'll be doing the MC, rear wheel cylinders and trying to pull the piston in the prop valve when I flush the system. If it doesn't move, it'll be rebuild or replacement time.

8. handy_andy_cv64

So I went outside to work on Babe, since the winds shifted and the majority of the smoke pollution from B.C. is gone. Not so hot, not so humid, almost pleasant. I swapped out the spark plugs because preventive maintenance, and I think they look pretty good for almost 30K of the carb is out of kilter:

IMG_20170812_142750681 (640x360).jpg

They are 1-8, L-to-R. #4 is darkest, #7 is lightest, but the evenness of the tan is a good sign. So after that, I fired it up, got it up to temp and hooked up the vacuum gauge. I gave each idle mixture screw another 1/8 turn, and I'll be driving it shortly, but the vacuum is now at 18", and after I remove the cat, I'm hoping for another 2".

9. ribald1

1 and 8 look like oil is seeping past the intake manifold gasket.
    As the heat band is in the center of the ground electrode your heat range is correct so the plugs are indicating an overly rich tune.

10. handy_andy_cv64

Rich at idle, rich at cruise, or both? And I'm assuming some of the 'richness' can be attributed to the backpressure causing an inefficient burn? The manifold has to be done anyway, as I discovered a coolant leak on the passenger front corner.

11. ribald1

At idle for sure as the coloration is relatively even, I would have to know how it was driven before the plugs were removed to know anything more. Don't know about back pressure limiting burn.
    Coolant leak by #1 matches the oil leak there, when you pull them you likely will find #8 near ready to leak coolant also.

12. handy_andy_cv64

Probably. Of course, I couldn't be bothered to follow my own advice when Babe sat up, not run for months at a time, so I pay the price. Luckily, though, it's a simple job, and I can tie it in with doing the valve cover swap.

13. handy_andy_cv64

New pics to come tonight. But I've discovered something mysteriously interesting: After removing the old J.C. Penney radio unit, I found a switch, installed on the bottom of the dash. It was a bit to the left of the side of the radio, and had a Ford ident tag with the number D5AA-18972-AA. Now that number comes up as a T-bird speaker fader control. Anybody know why it would be in a '79 Ranchero?

14. ribald1

Maybe because someone put it there?

15. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Taking a guess -- did the T-bird have rear speakers as well as fronts? That's what generally a fader pot was meant to control back in the day. Not clear how you'd use it in a Ranchero.

16. handy_andy_cv64

Yeah, I'm sure most of the loaded T-birds had the 4-speaker setups, but since the radio heads weren't built with a fader, a separate one was installed. On a Ranchero, there would never be a need for one. I had installed a 4-speaker setup in my '74, but the radio head had a built-in fader. So now, my question still stands: why is that fader in my Ranchero? Is there another use for it?

17. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

why is that fader in my Ranchero? Is there another use for it?

Trace the wire. it may be hooked up to an ejector seat or a hidden compartment so smuggle drugs :D

18. ribald1

More likely that it is the trim control for the flux capacitor.

19. Jeff B

Jeff B In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Maybe the fader was for the speakers in the camper shell. Or it's a dimmer for the fog brakes.

20. handy_andy_cv64

Ew gize!o_O

It's not hooked to anything. Now, the point that it might have controlled speakers inside the camper shell may be more accurate, as the shell that was on here originally did have speakers, but they weren't hooked up. A story about that for another time.