Advice on Cam and intake for 460? ('88 F250)

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by FordR500GT, Jul 3, 2018.

1. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Maximum Overdrive

Ok, so dad bought himself an '88 F250 460 EFI w/C6 trans, heavy duty axles, and only 62,000 original miles. Truck was sitting for 15 years, and he paid $650 for it. Besides one dent in the bed floor, the truck is perfect.

Being a 460, it's getting about 8 MPG (bone stock). I know there isn't much more you can get out of it, but he wants to give it all its got.
    • He has already decided to use a true-dual setup with 2 FlowMaster Super 44's
    • Being 16, I don't have much experience as to building engines, however I can rebuild them STOCK, which is why I could use some insight.
    • He and I want to know the best options for a Camshaft and Intake to increase HP and MPG (and if changing EFI to carb is a good idea)
    • Also looking into putting an AOD Trans in there and lowering the rear gears, of course.

The truck runs like as if it were new, so no issues there. Any help would be appreciated!!

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The Eighties 460 engines were built for really heavy work, so the first problem is the relatively small exhaust diameter, which contributes to blown manifold gaskets and cracked manifolds.

3. FordR500GT

Thus why it's being upgraded. 2 1/2 inch
    Also adding shorty headers instead of stock manifolds.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  4. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

5. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

For fuel economy an overdrive is the way to go, but it will only yield an improvement on the highway.
    The simplest method is to add a gear vendors OD to the C6.
    Most performance upgrades will likely reduce in town MPG, including opening up the exhaust, especially if you don't change the fuel curve in the EFI.
    It is a fact of life that if you want the ponies, you have to buy the hay.

6. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Try setting initial timing to 10 or 11' BTDC, while having the SPOUT connector removed(it's located near the distributor). Also have a look at the plastic dual intake tubes, they really neck down as they go into the throttle body, I cut those neck down areas off. A 460 usually likes a lower opening T-stat as well. I had a lifted/leveled '90 F350 4x4 with 460/5-spd and it got 11-12 mpg doing 70 on the interstate with 35" tires and 4.10 gears. I found no difference in overall mileage between 3.54 and 4.10 gears in a 460/C6 equipped '82 F250 4x4 lifted on 37's I owned, the 3.54's lugged the engine a bit down low but kept the BB in a good power band at hwy speed, the 4.10's allowed better around town performance/mileage but ate a bit more fuel due to higher rpm at hwy speed. A set of EFI(fuelie head) headers are a bit pricey compared to a "regular" set of 460 headers, but every vehicle I have put headers on not only performed better but also got a bit better mileage(the increase in exhaust tubing size should help as well). Other things to look at is the fan clutch and alignment. Good luck and the truck sounds like a good one.

7. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

How many MPG do you hope to gain with a 460? As an example, you might have a look at Banks Performance kits and see what they have in them. They address more cool air for the intake with less restriction and open up the exhaust, they show long tube headers in their kits. I perceive Banks claims to be just that. Claims. But there is something there to at least learn from. You can take the advise from this thread and piece together a good "kit" that will move you towards your goal without hopefully spending more than the truck is really worth. Good luck.

8. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

What's wrong with 8 mpg in an F250 with a 460? I think that's pretty good.

My '75 Ranchero GT 460 got 9 mpg in city driving and a whopping 15 mpg on the highway!

9. FordR500GT

its 8MPG Highway. Goes through a tank pretty Quick.

10. TestDummy

You know what gets pretty good gas mileage? Pretty much anything with a 4 cylinder. Pick your battles.

ForistellFord likes this.
  11. FordR500GT

My old man doesn't like to listen. Before he bought the truck, he kept insisting that a 460 gets better mileage than a 351... Now he can see that I was right, but what is done is done.

12. TestDummy

The 455 I built and installed first in a 1975 Cutlass got 15 mpg pulling a 21 foot FourWinns Cuddy (2.88:1 rear gear). Meanwhile my friends were getting 8-9 mpg in their Ford and Chevy trucks pulling their boats, as I passed them going up every hill. If you get the right carb, and tune it perfect, and keep your foot out of it, you might get 10-12 because the 250 weighs a ton and has crap for gears.

13. FordR500GT

That'd have to be a carb conversion. Its EFI

14. TestDummy

You're screwed, then. Unless you get one of those new Holley or Edelbrock FI units.

15. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

You can modify your fuel and advance curves, but it is easier with an aftermarket unit.