Aftermarket A/C

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by rfinnegan, Sep 18, 2017.

1. rfinnegan

rfinnegan In Fourth Gear

Has anyone here installed an aftermarket A/C system in a 70 or 71 Ranchero? More specifically, installed it in a Ranchero that did not have A/C as original equipment?

How hard was it? Did it fit correctly? How well does it work? How does it look?

What brand?

Thanks

2. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I installed a Vintage Air unit in my 1967. I opted for the kind that hangs under the dash in a manner similar to some of the older Fords. Installation was very easy. Are you looking to do a factory style unit where everything but the vents are concealed behind the dash or a hang under the dash style? The hardest part of mine was locating a suitable mounting point for the unit as my car is a manual trans and I kept the original heater box for the defrost function.

I know you asked about a 70-71 but I'm sure the installation would be quite similar up to the dash.

3. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

On the 70-71, I believe it is possible to swap the lower dash panel to gain original AC vents if that helps the install.

4. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I installed the Classic Auto kit(s) in my 64 Sprint and in my 67 Ranchero. I also used the factory dash vents (for A.C.) in the 67. Only thing I changed in the 64 was the two outer vents, they come with "round" outlets (similar to a GM) and I changed them to the rectangular ones that matched the center (outlet) vents.
    If you're fairly handy with tools and your hands, it's not that bad of a job.

5. rfinnegan

rfinnegan In Fourth Gear

I'm in tha market for a 70 or 71 and will use it as my daily driver. For that reason I want a/c. My preference is to find one with a/c already, but since there are so many without it, I would consider adding it if the Ranchero is that nice and that good of a deal.
    I'd prefer one that is concealed with only the vents visible. I haven't found a setup for a 70-71 Torino/ranchero, and don't want to find myself with a multi-weekend project cutting, welding and bleeding trying to make it fit.

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You have to remember, back then, a lot of the Ford cars came from the factory without A/C, but some wanted it but did not want to wait for a car from the factory; hence, the Mark IV system, which was a dealer-installed setup (our Club Wagon had it). As I see it, to do that would require a similar setup; doesn't any aftermarket A/C supplier offer a similar kit to the Mark IV?

7. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Is the mark IV system the one that hangs under the dash?

rfinnegan, I too wanted my ranchero as my daily driver, hence the aftermarket install. I figured if hanging a big old a/c unit under the existing dash in plain sight was good enough for Ford, it was good enough for me, so I went that route. Not concealed but no real cutting, welding, and bleeding to speak of and I have ice cold air. It would have been great if someone actually made a kit that bolts in where your current heater box is now, but I don't know if there is one like that available.

8. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Classic Auto Air makes one - that's what's in mine now.

9. Car Nut

Car Nut In First Gear

I installed a vintage air system in my 69. I located a factory A/C lower dash and married it up / or more honestly am in the process. The hard work is done . What helped make the decision was i has found a video on auto resto mod.com They did one of these in a 1969 farline station wagon . Witch was the same dash and front end config has my 69 Ranchero . Its still on there website under past episoded in the 2012 listing .