Aftermarket EFI carb replacement

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by Dark Side Tom, May 27, 2018.

1. Dark Side Tom

Dark Side Tom In Second Gear BRONZE MEMBER

Anyone out there do one? Several available.

Dark Side Tom

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

I run a modified Holley setup on my 521.
    Choosing the right one is heavily dependent on your application. Any of them will require a fair amount of programming to work in a high performance application.
    For a straight stock application, the Fitech can't be beat, price wise. For a more performance oriented application look at the offerings by Holley or QuickFuel.
    If you are running a significantly modified engine, you will have to learn how to set up fuel and timing charts and spend a few hours tuning.

3. Dark Side Tom

Thank you!

Will likely go the FITECH route.

Did you do an in tank pump?

A Camaro friend of mine replaced his external pump with a tank swap because of pump noise.

Setup on his on a Chev 383 stroker. Runs great!

DST

4. ribald1

I run an A1000 at the tank.
    I guarantee you that it can't be heard over the engine.
    My application doesn't apply to yours.
    The in tank setups are the best method for an application like yours. It gives you a proper return entrance, is quiet, and replaces a bunch of parts that likely need replacing.
    Keep in mind that the Fitech has limited programmability and can be difficult to get to work properly with a big cam and tall unheated intake.
    O2 sensor location is very important and should be installed in the optimal location for your type of exhaust even if it is difficult to do.

5. Dark Side Tom

Thank you!

You've clearly gone through some serious engineering to get your system dialed in!

Mine will be lightweight with a small motor with modest mods.

Thanks for the insights. I'm sure other folks on this forum may have max effort motors and may consider your efforts on theirs.

DST

6. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

7. ribald1

Thanks
    I don't know about others doing what I did. I did it to be able to tune out the lope, and a lot of people like the lope. It was a lot of effort, and didn't yield any real gains over a carb. It was just something that came into my mind, so I did it.

8. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

TBI is not that much of an improvement over a carb even though the metering of fuel is by injection it still has to flow through the manifold and you still have uneven fuel distribution, I would look into using Factory ford SEFI

9. Dark Side Tom

Would uou consider the FITECH and similar from Holley and others to be TBI?
    DST

10. Dark Side Tom

Answer my own question. Obviously they are TBI since the spray feeds all cylinders the same, unlike separate per port injectors...

11. ribald1

There is a small advantage to going multiport, however, it is small, and the downside is the complexity.
    What is gained from fuel injection over a properly tuned carb, in general, is a small fuel economy improvement, and significantly better operation when cold. With the proper system you also get unlimited tuning options.

12. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

If you live in a hot climate, EFI will also eliminate flooding of carb due to heat soak/percolation.

TestDummy likes this.
  13. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

And float adjustments.