Aftermarket seats in 72 Chero

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by John Vlieger, Dec 7, 2019.

1. John Vlieger

John Vlieger In Second Gear

Hey, everyone.

I'm still hard at work on the rebuild of my 72 Ranchero. Front end should be done this week, and I got most of the bastard electrical torn out. Only things left are to decide on fixing the air bags in the rear VS coil springs, and the seats.

The previous owner of my house worked for Toyota and left a pair of brand new, OEM, heated/cooled/power leather Lexus seats in my garage. He said "don't ask how I got them" so I didn't.

I want to mount them in my Ranchero.

In my defense, this car is only going to be a Sunday driver, and with my back injuries the original bench seat gives me much pain. It also has a 302 HO 5.0L fuel injection engine installed, so it's not a "factory correct" car to begin with.

My question, is how best to mount the seats. There are only two bolts per side for the bench, and of course I'll have to figure out a way to adapt the Lexus bolt pattern, but how best to do it? I have limited fabrication ability here, and would prefer not to shell out for a full custom fab job. A buddy mentioned 2" x 3" tubing? Any ideas? Thanks!

2. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

I know for my truck group, a lot of guys used Mustang bucket mounts to put in bucket seats. You'll have to drill mounting holes in the floorboard, but that should be pretty easy. Since you have Toyota seats, you may need Toyota brackets.

Also, to me, it doesn't matter that you're not keeping it original. What matters is that you're keeping it on the road, and you're making it work for YOU. It's not my car, it's yours, so make it your own.

Kiwirancher likes this.
  3. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Use factory tracks if they can be adapted to donor seats.Your bench seat tracks will work for one seat with addition on capture nuts/bolts and shorting up release wire.Search the forum,I think there is a few threads on seat swaps.
    [​IMG]

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  4. John Vlieger

The Lexus seats already have their own tracks. All I. Have to do is bolt them down correctly and power them as far as I know

5. LSChero

Pull out the bench seat and see what you have to do to make em fit.Ranchero floor is not flat,so you may have to fab a base support up.I was suggesting remove lexus tracks and bolt seats to ranchero tracks.I bolted 79 cougar power buckets in my 73.Not that great of a convenience in a ranchero IMO.Tilt steering is the best upgrade I have done to my ranchero.

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I have back problems, and obesity, myself, and the bench leaves a lot to be desired. While the floor is not flat, where the split bench rails mount to the floor is even, so if the Lexus seats have flat feet front and back, they should just be able to sit on the floor, and holes/bolts/nuts/fender washers be used to bolt them down. Can you post multi-angle pics of the Lexus rail mounts?

7. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Your floor pan has the provisions for factory buckets should be fairly easy to make brackets to mount them.

FordR500GT likes this.
  8. John Vlieger

I test fit the seats in the car and it seems like they should work alright. Will have to raise them up a bit to clear the outside ridge on the floor pan.

Attached Files:

9. John Vlieger

I'm thinking a 2" x 1" steel tubing, one in each side of the seat, which will raise it up a bit as well as act as an adapter for the existing bolt pattern

10. LSChero

[​IMG]

11. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

If you end up drilling a hole in the floor for a mounting bolt, be sure you at least use a large washer or a backup plate between the floor and the nut to keep it from pulling thru the floor pan in the event of an accident. You might have to think about your seat belt receiver placement too. I am working on installing bucket seats from a Mercury Milan and was able to massage the factory tabs into working. Still a work in progress.

12. John Vlieger

I'm taking it slow with this, but I'm committed to getting it done.

Found this link
    https://www.hemmings.com/blog/article/modern-seat-installation/#PhotoSwipe1485155730171

That seems to cover what I needed to know, albeit for a GM vehicle. The carpet is in need of being replaced anyhow, so I'll rip it out, order new carpet, and get to work mapping out the locations for the mount and figuring out the wiring for these seats.

I plan on securing the seats with a backer plate, of course. Regarding the seat belt, I'm probably going to replace the factory shoulder strap and lap belt with a modern seat belt. These seats have a modern receiver already attached.

13. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

headroom is a premium you may consider flat strap

14. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Fourth Gear

I put 99 Ford Explorer 6 way power buckets in 72 Gran Torino Sport which has same floor and seat riser as Ranchero.
    The I modified the feet on Explorer seat base to fit the seat riser bracing.
    I drilled hole in seat riser brace bigger then nut then threaded a bolt on nut and held it in place so nut was flush in seat riser then tack welded it.
    I then welded the nut all the way around but staying on edges so not to get close to threads..
    After modifying the feet on seat base it bolted right to the seat riser.
    If your tracks are longer then the seat riser front and rear position and the rear is angled you might need a steel wedge if both seat track feet are flat.
    You could take square box tube then cut it on angle then weld it to seat riser so that it extends riser but makes it flat to bolt to .
    Drill hole and either weld nut in or weld a bolt sticking up as a stud then put base down and attach with nut.
    Just depends on donor seat but you can make other seats fit

15. Rods N Restos

I installed 2012 Camaro buckets and rear seat in a 69 Chevelle SS I restored for a guy and they have the seatbelt coupler end on seat.
    Since the new cars are controlled electronically with crash sensors and fires a CO2 cartridge to lock the belts we couldn't use the front factory extractors and I found company that had 3 point seatbelts with assorted ends.
    I picked the "End Button" belts and got it with sash guide as you weld a plate with threaded nut into the roof Reinforcement or possibly can use the factory anchor hole for the shoulder harness.
    The Camaro seats had the same ends so I just uses the Aftermarket 3 point retractor with sash guide and used the release coupler end on the Camara seat and didn't use the one that came with the seatbelt.
    They come in colors to match interior.
    On the rear seat I used the factory Camaro rear seatbelts and installed the retractor behind package shelf bulkhead and cut a slot in top of package tray for belt to come thru.
    I welded a nut on steel plate with hole then cut hole for nut on plate to recess into the sail panel metal and welded it on for the guide anchor point.
    The rear seat had a bar the bottom cushion attached to with the seatbelt couplers and child seat anchor points as the Camaro rear top is hinged off that same bar.
    So when I was done the classic car had modern 3 point seatbelts but were centrifugal locking like the classic cars but could use the buckle on the modern seats.
    I have Explorer buckets going in our 72 wagon and they are that way to so I will buy the 3 point belts.
    Also plan on buying them for our 72 Gran Torino Sport with factory buckets and will use the coupler ends that comes with seatbelt kit.
    Here is what they look like long-sash-guide-3-point-retractable-seat-belt-end-button-buckle-30.jpg long-sash-guide-3-point-retractable-seat-belt-end-button-buckle-12.jpg long-sash-guide-3-point-retractable-seat-belt-end-button-buckle-13.jpg

16. Rods N Restos

Now the 72 and 73 Rancheros have a should harness anchored on the back bulkhead but the 74-76 Rancheros have the factory 3 point belts and has the sash guide anchored in the back corner of roof.
    You can buy the aftermarket 3 point seatbelts with the 8 inch sash guide and buy the hardware kit which come with anchor plate to weld into the corner of roof structure .
    You just need to drilled a hole for bolt to go into corner roof pillar and then weld the threaded backing plate onto roof pillar to reinforce a anchor point for sash guide.
    You will however have to pull headliner loose unless it needs replacing anyway then just ripp it out of your way but if it's good it will require pulling the back window out as headliner is held around window pinch weld and window gasket holds it tight.

Here is where we got the belts with sash guide then you choose color,the buckle end length (which you use 1 on Lexus seat) then choose the buckle ends to match seat
    https://www.wescoperformance.com/long-sash-seat-belt-eb.html

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  17. Rods N Restos

This is the shoulder sash guide anchor location on 74-76 Ranchero
    Screenshot_20191213-171155_Gallery.jpg
    Anchor bolt
    Screenshot_20191213-171139_Gallery.jpg
    74-76 3 point seat belts
    Screenshot_20191213-171325_Gallery.jpg
    so you can use the aftermarket 3 point seatbelts and have similar set up like the later models have and use the Toyota/Lexus seats and that's how you get 3 point seatbelts to work with seats out of another vehicle or even aftermarket bucket seats

18. John Vlieger

Hmmm... Obviously I'd like to use modern 3 point seat belts, but to be honest I used just the lap belts the entire time I used the car as a daily driver. Not smart in retrospect, but it's what I did.

I'm not starting on the seats until after this weekend (front suspension is in the process of being rebuilt), but I'll have to look at these options. I have a shop right next to my work that could handle the welding, just have to figure out the rest first.

Could use the OEM anchor point for the shoulder strap to mount a new "spool" and the OEM lap belt mount for the attachment, but the lap belt plate is HUGE.

19. Rods N Restos

I guess you could mount the Retractor there but it has to feed straight out so you want it pointing up then weld the plate for sash guide anchor where the 74-76 is in my photo.

You can also mount the Retractor to bottom corner (arrow) with a bolt welded to floor/ rocker as metal is thick there then just put nut to secure the retractor to bolt
    The tab for old retractor can be cut down on sides to make it thinner or just cut it off with cut off wheel drill hole for big nut and weld it into floor/ rocker so the anchor end bolts flat to floor
    20191213_202536.jpg

20. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

There is one other possibility--late '90s and up Tahoe/Suburban seats, as the belt systems are built into the seats. But otherwise, if you can get upper anchors welded in, you would be able to use the '74-'79 setups. Babe's came from a '75 Torino Elite, and interior colors matched.