Aldan coilover conversion for 71 Ranchero

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by grebaba, Nov 30, 2017.

1. grebaba

grebaba In Second Gear

Hi
    Not sure where to post this so the mod's can move it if needed.
    I ordered the Aldan coilover kit today. #M1BBF2S
    It is for a 71 Mustang but after talking to Aldan I agreed to install and let them know if there are any install problems.
    After working on these cars for over 45 years I think the 71 Mustang and Ranchero are close enough that it should work.
    They offered all the help that I would need and were very nice and easy to talk to.
    If anyone is interested in this conversion I should have them next week. If it is above 40 degree's in my shop [no heat in shop]I will install them and let you know how it went.
    Thanks
    Greg

2. Basstrix

Basstrix In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I'm interested and can confirm that the 70/70 suspension is very close to that of the 71 mustang. The main difference is in the parts related to the steering box. One could argue those aren't suspension parts...

3. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Looking forward to this project.

4. grebaba

grebaba In Second Gear

Hi
    An update.
    Looks like I won't have the coilover kit till next Monday or Tuesday as the kit won't ship out till tomorrow morning.
    That will be 6 days from Calif. to Oklahoma.
    Will post install pictures as soon as the kit arrives.
    Greg

5. grebaba

grebaba In Second Gear

Another Update
    It appears that the Ranchero upper shock tower mount is about a 1/4 inch wider then the Mustang.
    I talked to Mr. Garrett Harmola at Aldan and he is having his engineer find a 71 Ranchero-Torino to take the measurements and build the correct upper mounts for our car's so I can finish the conversion.
    They are very help full and seem to want to help me finish this project. I am very impressed with their communication and willingness to make this work.I will try to add some pictures so you can see the difference between the Mustang and our cars.
    Some of the upgrades
    429 CJ engine Dynoed 658Hp@5800RPM
    Roush-Yates Detroit locker 3.25 ratio-wanted some gas mileage
    Frame rail connectors
    Converted to 4 wheel disc brakes with hydra boost system
    New Ron Francis wiring kit.
    Tci C-6 with converter.
    Strange axles
    Calvert Cal-Tracks with mono leaf springs
    Holley Fuel Injection
    Hope to finish it this year with new paint and interior.
    Greg

Attached Files:

6. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

Sounds like a groand pounder for sure.
    Gonna need some good rubber for all those ponies

7. grebaba

grebaba In Second Gear

Going to run some real sticky slicks on the rare occasions when I go to Thunder Valley Raceway but I really build it as a mildly modified street daily driver.
    Greg

8. grebaba

grebaba In Second Gear

I have a new update.
    Aldan has found a 71 Ranchero and has taken all the measurements and made the new upper mounts for our cars.
    They will ship out in the morning so I should have them next week and be able to finish the install.
    With the new mounts I guess they will have a kit for the 70-71 Ranchero.
    The owner of the company has been very good with making this work and been very good about keeping me updated on there progress.
    Greg

9. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Sounds good keep us updated.

10. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Any idea what they'll charge for the kit? Other than being adjustable, what's the benefit of this kit, because our Ranchero's are pretty much 'coil over' anyway.

11. grebaba

grebaba In Second Gear

The kit was $699.00 at Summit with free shipping and you get an $80.00 rebate [summit bucks].
    The advantage of the coil overs are for people who like better handling and the ability to adjust the suspension for different track or highway conditions.
    You can adjust your ride height and how hard or soft the ride is. You also gain quit a bit of room due to the smaller size of the coilovers compared to the stock coils.
    Stock coils are 5 inchs wide while the Aldan coilovers are 3 1/2 inches.
    I just looked up the prices for stock springs,shocks spring seats and the spring pads and the total was $400.00.
    In my situtation I was breaking the stock shocks [Monrow and other good brand gas shocks] probally due to the wheel stands at the track.
    I all so do some road racing and this gives me the option of hooking up my sway bar and dialing in my suspension for the road racing track.
    I am all so running Calvert Caltracks and mono leaf springs in the rear to get it to hook up.
    If you just drive on the street then the stock suspension is going to do the job even with the factory bump steer but if you want to do any sprited driving and stay on the road then the coilovers will be a partial sulotion to better handling.
    Hope I answered your questions and if you have any more just ask.
    Greg

TestDummy likes this.
  12. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Seems like something has changed in shock design on standard style shocks. I don't recall having a problem with pulling the rod out of shocks until the last few years. And yes, I did check to see if the shocks had more travel than the fully extended suspension. The worst example was a set of front shocks included in a front end rebuild kit from Kanter for a 58 Lincoln. Brand new, installed then let the car down on the wheels, decided to jack the car back up and let the wheels hang. Both front shocks came apart rod pulling loose from the internal piston. I thought the car had exploded. Have had a few Monroe shocks do the same thing for no obvious reason. No trouble with factory Ford shocks or Billsteine shocks or Rancho shocks. What am I seeing, cheap China junk ?

13. grebaba

grebaba In Second Gear

Yes probally.
    I try to buy American made in everything I buy. I have spent a lot of extra money on my shop equipment and parts because American made is better.
    The problem with the chineese products is that even though they may be made in a ISO 9001 standard plant the metal they make in china is crap.
    It is made to the lowest standards in the industrial world.
    When you get a part for half the cost of the American product you begain to wonder where they are saving the money.
    It cost quit a bit of money to ship a part from China and then pay tax's on it when it enters the US.
    Some of the savings is in labor cost but the biggest cost savings is the low quality cheap metal used in their products.
    I have used a major USA companys hand tools for 40 years and still have some of their air tools I bought in the 70's that still work like new.
    I ordered a disc grinder fron the tool store and it lasted 3 hours when it came apart and could not be repaired.
    I did not return it for warrantee because I don't want any more of their crap in my shop so I just threw it in the trash. Will never buy another IR tool again.
    It is a shame that American companys think they can make a lot of money by making their stuff in china but people will find out how much of a low quality product it is and will eventually stop buying their products.
    Well enough of my ranting as this is one of my pet peeve's.
    Greg

14. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

There is something different.
    Used to be that even for serious off road as long as there was some negative spring load with the wheels off the ground there was no need to worry about the shocks. now we need to run limiting straps or suffer shock failure.
    I suspect the issue is gas shocks rocking at the top as a gas shock can't seat at the top like a hydraulic shock can. If the center bolt collar is pinched so the shock only moves on the rubber between it and the shock mount tube then sideways forces are introduced in the primary tube. If the piston rocks in the tube, it is Hasta La Vista Baby.

15. grebaba

grebaba In Second Gear

Prototype Installed
    I received the second protype from Aldan yesterday. When I went to install it the top mount where the bolt goes though to hold the coilover was angeled to far toward the radiator to use.
    Mr Gary Nelson e mailed me and told me to drill new holes and see if everything would mount up OK.
    I did that and everything fit great.I did miss on my holes a bit, about 1\16 inch to far toward the firewall of the car but there was no binding and the coilover seems to work like it should.Well add some pictures so you can see what I am talking about.
    Mr nelson said when we finish they will go inti production. By the way the prototypes he sent me were off a 66 Ranchero as that was all he could find right away so they will have a 66 mount too.
    The first picture shows the orgional mount for the 71 Mustang.
    The second and third pictures show angel of the coilover with the first prototype [for the 66 Ranchero] mounted on my 71.
    The forth thou sixth are the install after I drilled the new holes. Fits all most perfect.
    The last picture is what you are replaceing minus one shock I broke and threw away.
    Greg Aldan install 003.JPG Aldan prototype 001.JPG Aldan prototype 002.JPG

Attached Files:

16. grebaba

grebaba In Second Gear

Got an e mail from Aldan and they have 5 new kits of coilovers for the 70 Fairlane. You can search their site for the different part numbers. I assume they only list the 70 Fairlane because that is what they could get for the model for their mounts.
    Anyway Jegs and Summit both have them for I think $795.
    The part number for the big block is M1bbf2s. The small block is M1sbf2s. The kits have different spring rates and drop so you would have to check to find what would work for you.
    I have the prototype and am very satisfied with it.
    Greg

17. Basstrix

Basstrix In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Thanks for the details and follow up post!

18. grebaba

grebaba In Second Gear

You are welcome.
    Greg

19. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

did the kit include adjustable strut rods and i'm assuming the lower shock mount has something like a roller perch to fit the stock a arm?

20. grebaba

grebaba In Second Gear

No it does not. Something else that I am planning on ordering.
    On the lower mount the roller perch is no longer needed and the lower shock mount bolts directly into the mount holes for the spring perch. Perfect fit with no mods needed.
    Greg