Am I nuts??

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by beerbelly, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Cindy

Cindy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I lost him to leukemia in December of 2008.

2. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Sorry for your loss Cindy.

FordR500GT, Cindy and Freestyle Don like this.
  3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

My sincerest condolances also.

FordR500GT, Cindy and Freestyle Don like this.
  4. Cindy

Cindy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Thanks, guys. It was difficult but it I have had time to mourn and grieve. Life is better now! Hugs to all o'yas.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  5. bigears

bigears In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

LOL .............. Give the sat the Canary nothing Ventured Nothing gained as another pointed out Life is Short

6. beerbelly

beerbelly In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

So bigears, you're saying go for it and Bob's your Uncle?

bigears likes this.
  7. bigears

bigears In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

Your correct ................... :)

8. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Overdrive

Condolences to you Cindy. We all know how it feels to lose someone you love.

9. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

I have had both of my rancheros 74 GT and the Ranchero MX a modified 79 all over the US. The 74 has been to Tennessee,Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, and Oklahoma. The worst ride in that car was the Ohio trip. Blew out a (new) rear axle seal and a (new) wiper motor assembly failed in the pouring rain. Drove that car home to Mchenry, IL having to stop every 100 miles to add gear oil! The ranchero MX has been to Florida, New mexico, Ohio, Tennessee and Mississippi. Both cars regularly go into Wisconsin (all over the state) The Ranchero MX has had some small annoying failures (power window switches, gauges and the headlight switch) but nothing that has left me roadside (yet).I try to keep both cars in the best possible shape so I can drive them anytime with no fear. For the most part I can do that they are far from perfect but the are both great drivers and that is what you want. So NO YOU ARE NOT NUTS!!

10. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

The land of the brave and the home of the free, keep the relics rolling, Gotta love um.

11. beerbelly

Dan the ranchero man, great story, and just the kind I need to hear. I'm like you, keep 'em fixed up and drivable, if not perfect. I just turned over 23,000 miles since I bought it in 2015, but this would be the longest single trip; I'm probably just being overly cautious.

12. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Just remember the 'Seven Ps:' "Proper Prior Preparation Prevents (Purely) Poor Performance."

13. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

Now I am not saying it's a new car like any says here prepare! I do carry a tool box with common tools to do an emergency repair (if needed). I also bring with me extra oil,trans fluid, coolant and a set of plugs and last but not least a dura spark box! Those thing work pretty good but when they check out it's over. Knock on wook I have never needed any thing except for that one rough trip to Ohio for the fairlane nationals. I have clocked in over 40,000 miles on my 74 since the frame off in 1999-2000. The 79 Ranchero MX has about now around 25,000 since 2009 and that was a frame off too. Just drove that one to work today for the second day this week 52 mile round trip. drove great! So take your car out and enjoy it my friend come back and share the stories!!! :D

14. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive

Wasn't afraid to take my 65 pretty much anywhere; that said couldn't feature more than a 2 - 3 hour trip even with fairly quiet pipes ( got a little noisy above 65 because the thing was aerodynamic as a brick and the engine had to do some work) and sound deadening.

Had a pertronix ignition (points and plate in the glove box) and felt I had all I needed.

15. beerbelly

This might be happening. I got some encouragement from my classmates, plus my old boss needs some shop help desperately, so I can make a few bucks for the trip. Maybe motels instead of camping- upgrades!

16. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive

Most of the sheet I drove in high school probably wouldn't have made that trip, but I'd have tried anyway. Your Ranchero is in more capable (seasoned) hands, so you'll be fine.

17. beerbelly

I wasn't lucky enough to have wheels in high school, but my first real new car was a 1974 Pinto wagon. I lived to tell about it, but can only imagine the horror stories you must have...

TestDummy likes this.
  18. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

DO NOT WORRY , your ride be proud to take you where you want to go , get it got it GONE !!!!!

TestDummy likes this.
  19. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

I mowed and trimmed enough yards to make over $2000 when I was 15 so that I could have a car. In Southern CA back in the late 60's, early 70's, if you didn't have a car and some coin in your pocket, you didn't have a girl.

20. Basstrix

Basstrix In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I did the same sort of thing....started mowing at 13....my sister would drop me off and come back later and take me to another job. My first vehicle was a 1960 F100 4x4....$1000...ex Forest Service vehicle. That truck paid for itself (and so did the chainsaw) the first winter....a buddy and I would cut and sell firewood and I'd haul it down the mountain and stack it for a small fee. Good money for a 16-17 y/o.