American Rock Loses Another Son

Discussion in 'Car and Home Audio' started by The Breeze, Jul 27, 2013.

1. The Breeze

The Breeze In Second Gear

I heard on the radio yesterday that the legendary songwriter J.J. Cale passed away at the age of 74. I just wanted to mention this, because he was a major contributor to Tulsa sound and the story of American rock. He wrote two of my three favorite songs of all time, "Call Me the Breeze" and "Cocaine". I always wanted to hear him play live, but at least I was fortunate enough to have heard Eric Clapton and Lynyrd Skynyrd cover his material. Anyway, wherever he is now, I know he is strummin' his Gibson.

2. Denny

Denny In Maximum Overdrive

Yeah, I didn't realize that he wrote "Call Me the Breeze" until I read it this week. The live Skynyrd version of that song is hard to beat.

3. The Breeze

The Breeze In Second Gear

Oh definitely. I have always thought of J.J. Cale as an amazing songwriter, but a slightly above average performer. He reminds me of Bob Dylan, awesome poet of songs, but a mediocre singer and guitarist. I discovered J.J. Cale when I was looking up "Call Me the Breeze" years ago when I learned that Lynyrd Skynyrd did not actually penned it themselves. I strive to make sure that proper credit is given to the original songwriter when discussing music. Especially since a lot of today's music is being heavily sampled.

4. MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Very Sad

Yes JJ has passed on to greener pastures.

Great songwriter.

Some of the songs he wrote that others (like Lynryd Skynyrd and Eric Clapton) covered that you have heard:

• Cocaine
    • Call Me The Breeze
    • After Midnight
    • Mama Don't
    • Sensative Kind
    • I Got The Same Ol Blues