AMPMETER WIRING

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by dbailey, Aug 27, 2014.

1. dbailey

dbailey In Second Gear

I changed my from a "Standard Dash Cluster" to a "GT Style" on my "72 Ranchero. I had no problem getting everything to work correctly with the exception of the "Amp meter". I have wiring diagrams, but for some reason can not get the meter to work, I even changed out meters thinking that could be the problem (it wasn't). Somewhere along the line I am not wiring it in correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Dan

2. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The older fords I am familiar with all use an external shunt type ammeter. Located in the power wiring between the hot side of the starter solenoid and the chassis wiring (pretty much everything except the starter) is a specified length of a specified gauge wire. The two ammeter leads attach to the two ends of that wire. It works by measuring the voltage drop across that external wire (actually, the difference in potential across that wire induces a tiny current in the ammeter).

3. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

4. dbailey

dbailey In Second Gear

Thanks for the replies! Now having the correct instructions for the required "Shunt" clears up why I could not get it working. I am assuming the "Insulator Junction Block" can be any insulated terminal block, correct? One other question, the "Yellow Wire" shown coming off the "Insulator Junction Block" marked ~~~ is going to be attached where or to what? As always your help is greatly appreciated!
    Dan

5. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

6. mo.herbfarm

mo.herbfarm In Maximum Overdrive

A little late, but maybe this will help clarify some:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Source: Ford Car Shop Manual, 1972. mo.

7. Peter k

Peter k In First Gear

Hi everyone, I bought my self a 1979 Ranchero about three years ago. I am having a problem finding a place to purchase the junction block that hooks in between the solenoid and the ammeter. The link that 72GTVA has provided takes me to the home page of National Parts Depot and not to the exact part that I need. I do understand that the link that 72GTVA has provided is six years old. I was wondering if there is any other place I could purchase the part that I need. Thank you in advance.
    Peter

8. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

9. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That will work. Did the original break apart or corrode?

10. Peter k

Peter k In First Gear

It never came with a junction block, so most of the positive wiring was hooked up to the solenoid, which many people told me it looked like a fire hazard. Thank you again for responding to my message and for the new link that you have provided.
    Peter

11. handy_andy_cv64

Oh, so you don't have a factory ammeter? OK, well, if you need photos of a factory install, let me know, and I can set you up with them.

12. Peter k

Peter k In First Gear

Thank you when the time comes I’ll send you a message

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  13. handy_andy_cv64

Sounds good; send an email Addy when you do.

14. rancheromac

rancheromac In Third Gear

I do not think 79 needs the shunt ? any other members chime in

15. handy_andy_cv64

Babe has a shunt; it's necessary to keep from catching your rig on fire. I'll go ahead and shoot the pics, post them up here. I may even have pics on my computer already.