Another disc brake conversion conversation

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by 65restomod, Nov 17, 2019.

1. 65restomod

65restomod In Fourth Gear BRONZE MEMBER

As I recuperate from my latest knee situation I have too much time to think.
    So here is my question/ conversation starter:
    At some point in the future when some money is freed up I want to do a front disc brake conversion.
    I am in the preliminary planning phase. I have done some research and starting to get over whelmed with options and products.
    All I want is a dual M/C with single piston front calipers conversion ( V8, 5 lug 14" wheels they look like mustang sport wheels )
    My dilemma is that the vendors say that some of the 14" wheel will not fit or that only 4 piston calipers are the only choice.
    Does anybody have some suggestions? I do want to go new instead of pick and pull. Not really in to schlubbing around in mud.

2. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

How about Granada parts? Also, quite a few places offer brackets to put metric calipers on different spindles. Reman parts will work fine, that way no swimming in mud.

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Granada parts will allow 14" wheel use, if the Mustang wheels you are thinking of have the same inner profile as the Ford wheels offered on the Granada, and any of the other Fords that use the same lug spacing and hub diameter.

4. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

5. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Overdrive

6. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

7. pmrphil

8. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

So it's official? SSBC is gonzo?

9. beerbelly

Yeah, I heard that too. Not too may of the parts are from SSBC though; I think the caliper brackets and dust shields mainly. Proportioning valves are easy to come by, and the rest of the stuff can be found at local parts stores, Rock Auto, etc.

The guy is pretty resourceful; I'm sure he'll find other sources.

10. pmrphil

Oh, that's good. I thought the calipers were SSBC. It's only the shields and stuff?

11. beerbelly

That's what it looks like according to their website:

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 3.08.22 PM.png

12. pmrphil

I like that last statement in red - such an important fact.

13. colnago

Even if he can't spell, or decide which word he wants to use. I'm "guessing" he meant to use "guessing" or "question," couldn't pick just one, so he decided to combine them. :p

Joseph

pmrphil likes this.
  14. 65restomod

I did a quick cost estimate with ScareBird and came up with over $500 in parts and it is no where near as nice as Chockostang for $175 more.
    Chockostang comes with rock shields and will look more bolt on.
    The question:Will Chockostang be compatible with 14" rims ( I need to find out)

15. beerbelly

I'm sure they will, since that's the size wheel most cars were running back in the 60's. Remember, these are the brakes that would have come on a '65 & up Mustang.

I highly recommend that you call him (Dan); he answers every call or email.

16. 65restomod

I think I found what I want!!
    I just got an e-mail back within 5 min.and this is what he said
    "Well a bit of fact.
    All, every (except special race version) that was produced 64 65 66 67 rolled off assembly line with 14" wheel!
    Now there was two different 14" wheels 64-68. Disc brake and Drum brake.
    If one has any newer 14" wheels built within the last 35 years, I guarantee they will fit perfectly. If Black steel 14" wheels, buy any black steel ford wheel 68 to ????"

then in another e-mail he said
    "PS--These are repos of the factory 4 piston disc brakes installed on the pony cars 64 65 66 67. 30 years from now--Need a part, order for that year you have, go home bolt on. That cannot be done with the parts, pieces from every make model to achieve a disc brake setup."

17. 65restomod

Now that I have settled on the brake conversion kit, I need to decide on a pressure bleeder
    They all have all the adapters needed to work with any vehicle and are positive pressure system .
    I have seen vacuum system that uses air pressure to create a venturi effect but not really sure how well they work. ( Any comments appreciated)
    Listed below are some of the examples I am considering
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pneumatic-...694784?hash=item5b5700cf40:g:AcgAAOSwXIFc5pbW

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Profession...702659?hash=item2881a40803:g:8H8AAOSwbPVdNnHD

https://www.jegs.com/i/Motive-Products/715/0250/10002/-1

18. colnago

I just bought me one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJ5DY16/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I need to make some time for it. I think I have a leak somewhere in the system of the Ranchero, and I know I have leaks in my F250 hydraulics. I'm hoping a positive-pressure system will help me to find those leaks. I chose to make my own adapter for the Ranchero MC, which ended up being a real pain, because I have a single-reservoir system and I couldn't find a screw-on lid for it that I could butcher up.

Joseph