Another new guy

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by neil brown, May 11, 2019.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

As this is an inline engine, I forgot that it feeds oil through the rocker assembly. Man, I'm forgetting too many things. But yeah, as it's not a canted engine, it lubes the arms that way. I wonder if the engine has an oil feed issue through that path, and the line was added as a stopgap.

neil brown likes this.
  2. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Ok , not quite sure what a "hollow rocker tower stud" is
    If you mean a hollow rocker shaft with oil being fed from below then I get it
    But with the added oil line at the top of the valve cover, how is that lubing all the rockers from the top? Just curious

neil brown likes this.
  3. handy_andy_cv64

That is what he meant, and as I had said, an oiling rail (spray bar) would need to go under the valve cover to be effective

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  4. neil brown

neil brown In Second Gear

I think you can see the stud here, it’s hollow, the oil line attaches to it.
    I think possibly your right, maybe a stop gap for a blocked oil passage, whatever it is, I’ve left it, just tidied it up,’ let sleeping dogs lie’ as they say

Attached Files:

5. uk ranchero

uk ranchero In Second Gear

triumph [ cars not bikes] used to make a 6 pot that got modded in that way because some said it improved the oiling of the valve gear others said it reduced the oiling of the bottom end

6. handy_andy_cv64

With the proper viscosity oil, the bottom end is still protected. I have a feeling there were as many arguments about that as the arguments about the best oil for SU carbs.