Any Experience With FM Modulated Bluetooth Adapters?

Discussion in 'Car and Home Audio' started by eqshadimar, Apr 25, 2014.

1. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

The previous owner of Buster already took out the factory radio and put in a dual shaft cassette player (see attached picture I found on web - 7 watts x 4 channels WOOT! :) ) so the original dash is cut. Given the almost impossible task of finding dash panels and original radios for a '67 in good shape and the fact that I am not doing a concours restoration I am not going to worry to much about it. I would like some of the more modern features though. This means getting some sort of new single DIN chassis head unit etc. Well I really don't need CD's over cassettes (and I have lots of cassettes I could use anyway) since they are both sort of old school at this point so this got me searching around for other options.

I know that this is the LAST thing I should be thinking about at this point given the current state of Buster but I stumbled across a company via the web called iSimple that sell all sorts of input (AUX, USB, etc) adapters that hook up to your ancient radio via your standard antenna lead. If I got the one that is around $90 it allows streaming of music, phone calls, txt messages over Bluetooth. It also offers hands free phone calls and works with SIRI voice commands on the iPhone. I figure that this would give me the best of both worlds. All the single DIN head units I have seen that offer the hands free talking and music streaming via Bluetooth would end up costing about the same but I would lose the awesome cassette player :) . So my final configuration would be like this:

1. Pioneer KE-1033 auto reverse cassette deck
    2. iSimple HubVolt DM (for USB charging)
    3. iSimple TranIT BLU HF (Bluetooth integration)
    4. Some type of 4 channel amp with speaker level inputs that can be configured as 2 channel + bridged for subwoofer
    5. Some surface mount speakers for mounting behind the seats (this is where the current ones are and I sorta like it)
    6. Subwoofer either under the seat or in the cubby holes
    So nothing super fancy.

Thoughts?

Laters,
    Jeff

Attached Files:

2. MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

RetroSound.

I just installed a Zuma in my '68. No sub. Rear JL Audio 6x9s three ways behind the seats driven by a JL Audio JX360 2 channel amp. I put 2 JL Audio 3.5" two ways in the dash speaker cutout and these are driven by the head unit. Had to fab a frame to mount them to but they fit well into the stock cutout. Spent less than $500 total and it looks like it was factory. Spent the most time running the power cable for the amp and had to remove the passenger fender to run it to the battery. About the only thing I'd do different would be to install a power antenna since I had the fender off anyway to run the power cable. Don't need power for any input device since all my recorded music is played off a USB stick. Amp is mounted on a piece of mdf covered with black carpet to match the rest of the floor and cutout to form into cubby hole behind the drivers seat, looks like it was made for that spot.

3. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

You removed a fender to run an amp wire???

4. MaxInValrico

Yup. Passenger side. Ran the cable down the channel on that side, behind the kick panel and up through hole where the antenna cable runs, drilled a hole just past the firewall through the fender wall around the shock tower and straight to the battery. Had no other way to get it through, it has factory A/C and the box inside the firewall takes up every inch on the inside. It was either that or take out the heater core assembly.

5. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Yeah I looked at the RetroSound units (Model Two) but they did not list anything specific for the '67 model year. Does that matter? Do you have any pictures of your installation?

Laters,
    Jeff

6. MaxInValrico

Here's some of the HU. I ran the USB stick cable through the ashtray. And the lighting is set to green (dim) because it's really bright at night.

Attached Files:

eqshadimar likes this.
  7. MaxInValrico

The Zuma and Model two have adjustable stems so they'll pretty much fit any stem type application. I used the stock support bracket to secure the back of the unit with the supplied material which I cut to length and bent into an "L" shape and bolted it to the mount bracket in back.

8. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

You can get some screaming deals here in the Closeout sections. Sonic ships fast and their customer service is excellent. Bought a ton of stuff from them, if they screw up you keep the mistake from my previous experience. They shipped a couple wrong items and they sent the correct ones and said keep the wrong stuff.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i857_car-audio.html?ls=1

9. MaxInValrico

I've bought stuff from Sonic, OnlineCarStereo has some pretty good deals, that's where I bought my JL amp and speakers from, they were cheaper than Amazon which is unusual.

10. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Cool thanks for all the information guys! I will look through those links. I have also found out why no one lists compatible radios for the 1967/66 Fairlane and Ranchero model years. In '66/'67 in the dash board there is a ~1/8" (maybe a 1/4") piece of plastic between the push buttons and the dial face. This is to accommodate the stock '66/'67 radio that has a corresponding gap between the buttons and the dial face. After '67 the push buttons are right under the dial face and therefore no strip of plastic. So the reason there are no radios listed for '67 is not because of some weird shaft spacing, it is because of that little strip of plastic. In order for these radios to fit you would have to cut that piece of plastic, thereby "destroying" the dashboard so there are no "factory fit" aftermarket radios for that model year.

It makes me feel a bit better to know that since my dashboard has already been "destroyed" by the previous owner, other dual shaft head units should fit.

Laters,
    Jeff