Any Jukebox Gurus here?

Discussion in 'Car and Home Audio' started by FordR500GT, Jul 21, 2018.

1. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Maximum Overdrive

I'm working on a 1965 Seeburg DiscoTheque that hasn't worked since 1997. I've been poking around and now it'll play a record, but it won't advance to the next selection, it just replays the same one. But the worst problem is that it plays the wrong selection all the time. Any idea? The manual that came with it is kinda hard to read, so it ain't much help.

2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I think it's safe to say the mother board isn't the problem.

3. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Ain't that the truth, relays and gears back then.

FordR500GT and ForistellFord like this.
  4. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Computers were mass produced by 1965, and logic boards were common even though they were not called 'motherboards' at the time.
    The electric computers replaced the mechanical ones by the 50's.

5. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Maximum Overdrive

It has a logic board, believe it or not. But I fixed the problem. My uncle had gone crazy with some lithium grease inside there back in the 90s, and after '97, everything was like tar and the clutch was locked up. Cleaned it with some alcohol at a toothbrush the best I could. PB Blaster fixed the clutch. Also the solenoids for the buttons weren't making contact to the right pins on the logic board, and it was picking the wrong songs. Baking soda and alcohol with a brush fixed it well.

6. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Mass produced by 1965? What brand would that have been? Intel did a 4004 chip in 1971, though I doubt they would say mass produced.

ForistellFord likes this.
  7. ribald1

BB there were computers before there were transistors, much less LSI.
    There were even computers before there were vacuum tubes that could accomplish any operation the most modern computer today can. In fact there are, to this day, feats mechanical computers can do that electronic ones can't but can only approximate. Like doing operations in base 10. As a result, mechanical computers are still in use today.

8. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive

You must have to pay Google for how much you use them.

Glad the juke is up and running!

9. ribald1

Back in the late 60's when I first got into computers I couldn't afford to play with modern (at the time) equipment. Luckily, being in a military town there was lots of government surplus that was practically given away. Tube logic boards with mechanical memory stacks, mechanical computers with tube alpha numeric readouts, stepper relay IO controllers and more. Much of that stuff played critical roles in our getting to the moon and back. Some of the mechanical accounting computers were profoundly complex.

10. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Where are the pictures of this jukebox?

11. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Mass produced by 1965? What brand would be on those mass produced computers?

Matters not, a Seeburg jukebox had no smarts at all, totally mechanical.

12. ribald1

I will look it up and get back to you.
    As to 'smarts', a computer does nothing a mechanical device can't do. They are as 'smart' as a toaster or a 58 Buick.

13. TestDummy

Don't you guys get it? I could post something like, "Water has always been wet", and he'd argue with me. Can't help it. I think it's a defense mechanism, or compensating for something. Maybe I could Google it?

14. ribald1

The first mass produced computer was the IBM 650 produced in the mid 50's.
    And yes Sean, when you make stuff up and post it, as you do often, you get called on it occasionally, and not just by me. Just because you saw something on a sitcom about people thinking Rock and Roll was going to ruin the world doesn't mean that more than a tiny fraction believed such nonsense. Not everyone is from Detroit.
    If you concentrate, I am sure you can separate fact from fiction, try it sometime, when your brain starts working you will be amazed what it can do.

15. MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

The 650 was mass produced if you want to consider 2000 or so units as mass produced over the course of 10 years and was more of a PCAM system than what we today would term as a computer. IBMs 1401 system was the first solid state computing system (made by IBM) to be mass produced and installed prior to the first seriously commercially available mass produced and installed data processing system the System 3.

The 650 used mag drum technology and was rated at less than 1000 ops per second. Other manufacturers not used commercially like Hughes were making vacuum tube systems with far higher op rates that were used by the military in the late 50s some of which are still in use today believe it or not.

16. ribald1

Without a doubt computers have become smaller and faster, and better at certain types of operations.
    The biggest computer I ever worked with was the mostly electromechanical distributed system that operates the Shell Refinery here. Spread over an area the size of a small town with millions of sensors and actuators. It still had tube logic boards in some places as backup for the transistor ones. I was there in the early 80's installing camera wiring for leak detection equipment.

17. TestDummy

:rolleyes: Whatever makes you feel better. You seem to be the only one that ever disputes things on here. You are like the all-knowing Google Cop, and I find it interesting that I am not the only one here you try to 'enlighten' with your vast knowledge. You are like the great and powerful Oz, hiding behind your genius curtain.
    [​IMG]

18. ForistellFord

Now, now, Sean, be nice. I bet he uses Bing and Yahoo once in a while too. Maybe Dogpile.

19. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Hmmmm... Ribald1, ForistellFord, Test Dummy - are we escalating this crap again (still)??? Maybe neutral corners and a little breather (8 count) is needed?

20. ForistellFord

I thought you left!