Anyone see Wheeler Dealer?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by Dark Side Tom, May 20, 2018.

1. Dark Side Tom

Dark Side Tom In Second Gear BRONZE MEMBER

They restored a 64 with 289 and 4 speed. Two things Ant did were a disc brake conversion and wooden bed.

Seems like the disc brake conversion was cheaper than possible at $380. Can't see how to do a dual MC with prop valve, wheel kit, and hoses.

I thought the wood bed looked great! How to find one sized kust right?

Tom

2. rfinnegan

rfinnegan In Fourth Gear

$380 does sound cheap - I wonder if they don't count the cost of things like shipping, sales tax and any other parts that you always seem to need.

On that note, I don't have a lot of faith in the honesty of any of those types of shows - home improvement shows, house flip shows, or car improvement/ flip shows. Yesterday I saw an episode of Misfit Garage where they were building a 31 Ford. They bought a new frame for it, prepped the cab for painting, sent it out for paint, then at the last minute decided to put in a blown chevy 350 rather than a naturally aspirated ford 302.

Really? On a build with that much of the mechanicals exposed (fully exposed engine), and body and frame prep required, you're telling me you didn't do a dry fit to make sure the engine and tranny would fit? And if you did, that everything for the 350 aligned perfectly with that which was setup for the 302?

Maybe it was one of those all-purpose/multi-model frames; kinda like the flexible radiator hose......

Admittedly I've never swapped a 350 into 302's hole, but me thinks there'd be a few "dimensional disagreements" somewhere.

Black Cloud likes this.
  3. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Scarebird brakes does a conversion that does not cost much. If it were a V8 car then the 5 lug hubs get reused. Brackets, master, discs, calipers and some hardware. All the parts are not Ford, but it works.

4. scbarger

scbarger Banner Maker

I have it on the DVR waiting to watch it after I catch up on the other shows.

5. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Spoiler alert: They sold it and made a tidy profit.

6. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

The Scarebird kit for my E200 had no Ford parts. Cadillac brake line, Silverado rotors, Astro 4WD calipers and pads.

7. Dark Side Tom

Thanks Jeff B! I see they offer a bracket for V8 spindles that uses GM 1/2 ton truck calipers and pads, Mustang 11 1/2" rotors, and Eldorado hoses. Mixed bag, but who cares if it works! Claim is <$350 total for the setup.

Dark Side Tom

8. Dark Side Tom

Sorry for spelling. Easier on my PC than my tiny phone...

9. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

That sounds like a decent kit. I did the Scarebird kit on my '70 as well but mine used 10" rotors. Go figure, bigger parts on a smaller chassis. Upgrade to the dual master if not done already. Not hard to install and it's all new parts.

10. MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

$380 is half of what I paid for the Wilwood front disc conversion kit and a new Wilwood MC with a prop valve. Easy to install bolt on replacements. Took me an afternoon to do the MC and an afternoon to convert the front drums to disc (non-power). Braking is far superior.

11. Dark Side Tom

Wow!