Anyone using a Demon 1900 carb, have this problem?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by handy_andy_cv64, Jan 12, 2022.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

So I've installed this Demon carb on Joe's '73 PI 460, and I just found out it's leaking vacuum underneath. I kept the factory spacer and gaskets, but my question is this: will a gasket, made to go under a Holley carb, cause a vacuum leak under a Carter AFB-style carb? The Demon instruction book shows the open-style gaskets, and says to get an open-style spacer plate if the factory plate interferes with the carb throttle plates, but this one does not. Any thoughts/experiences?

2. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Third Gear

I have been using a jetted down Street Demon 625 on my 289 for the last 3 years or so . Normal gaskets and phenolic spacer , no issues whatsoever.
    Denis.

3. handy_andy_cv64

Good to hear. Funnily enough, I went to check it earlier, it was idled down. Might've been a problem with the choke, so at this point, I was able to set curb/low idle and dial the mixture. Now I need to figure out the throttle cable bracket (it is bolted too far inboard, and blocks the Lokar cable mounting), and we can take it for a test drive.

4. handy_andy_cv64

Well, Joe wanted me to remount the throttle bracket, so I did, and we took it on a 30-mile test drive. Definitely no problems running at speed and idling, unlike the 4300D, which would just start falling off once hot, and stall the engine.