Anyone Using Water Wetter in Their Radiator?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by colnago, Apr 26, 2019.

1. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

Since my '64 is running warm these days, I'm looking for ways to bring the temps down (I'll be installing a fan shroud tomorrow morning). Has anyone used Water Wetter, or any other coolant additive, that helps to transfer heat from the engine to the water?

Joseph

2. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I have, and do, every time I change coolant (2 years). I also added a shroud about 4 years ago. I couldn't tell you which of the two made a difference, but I never get over 1/2 on my gauge anymore. I figure why not- the science sounds right.

HVAC22 likes this.
  3. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

With only a 2 row radiator there's not much room for error, the shroud will help. I tried water wetter in my racecar and found no measurable difference, but it's cheap enough to see for yourself if it helps.

4. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Never heard of it, does it help.

5. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

6. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

7. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Do the shroud first. See how far it helps. If you think you need a bit more, then do the additive.

8. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

That's basically what I decided. I have the shroud in-hand, so it's going on, no matter what. I will be interested to see what changes with the shroud, because I'm not using one with my 352, and it never has overheating issues, even though the FE is known to be a hot engine. 'Course, the radiator is huge!

I'll post my post-shroud results tomorrow.

Joseph

9. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Right there. "'Course, the radiator is huge!" That's the difference between a full-sized truck and a car-based pickup, the amount of room for a radiator. The mid-Sixties Ford cars all suffered from a small, relatively speaking, core support opening. So, to maximize cooling, you either used a thick radiator core, a fan shroud or both. And you may want to spend some time making air dams that push the vast majority of air through the radiator core, shroud and fan, in order to maximize the cooling effect.

10. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

Now you tell me! :rolleyes:

Joseph

11. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

If possible go with the largest (widest) radiator you can. Running a 4 row aluminum on the 74 and a 3 row on the 79 and both have shrouds with a clutch fan sets up. No issues. Additives to me all seem like snake oil and are only a "band aid" fix at best.

cbolt likes this.
  12. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

I tried the Purple Ice snake oil today. No change. :( I ordered a 17" fan, which should arrive by next weekend, and will hopefully fit my new shroud.

Joseph

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  13. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

A factory type 3 row radiator will cool that thing just fine, even without a shroud. Ask me how I know. ;):D

14. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Ditto on the factory 3-row on a 65 289. No shroud and no issues. Even with add-on air.

1965 Ranchero 66G and pmrphil like this.
  15. 62restomod

62restomod In Second Gear

Just my 2 cents, Make sure your coolant is at the right concentration, too heavy on coolant mix is as bad as as not enough
    heat transfer is compromised use a coolant tester to see what your concentration is.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  16. Dan the ranchero man

Or just by the 50/50 mix and your done.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  17. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

That's what I did this last round. I know, lazy. But it got it done, no muss no fuss.

Joseph

18. Dan the ranchero man

It's not lazy just smart. No guessing no buying distilled water to mix or using tap water and contaminating your cooling system.

19. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

Tap water? TAP WATER?!?

When I got the 'chero last October, the first thing I did was to change the oil and radiator fluid. Unfortunately, the radiator fluid was straight water, so I will never know if it was distilled or from the hose (my money is on the hose). But you roll the dice when you buy a classic, because you really have no idea what the previous owners did during the past 50-ish years.

Joseph

20. Dan the ranchero man