AOD swap

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by RancheroRandy, Oct 27, 2020.

1. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Maximum Overdrive

Well, after "only" about 4 months my AOD that I was having rebuilt is almost finished with lots of 4R70W parts. It will be able to handle 600HP so I will need to next to work on that a little more.... :) AOD almost finished.jpg

Boiler92 likes this.
  2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Lucky sonofagun.

3. Saff54

Saff54 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

That’s a thing of beauty Randy,don’t get it dirty!

4. RancheroRandy

Dang! Didn't get any pics today. Trans is in but waiting for aluminum driveshaft to arrive. A couple "before" pics tho... AOD swap2.jpg AOD swap3.jpg

I will have a nice TCI "Street Fighter" C6, TCI 2,000 stall torque converter, trans yoke and 49" driveshaft to sell....

5. handy_andy_cv64

The aluminum driveshaft, is it built from new? Or are you adapting one from another vehicle?

6. RancheroRandy

I'm getting the driveshaft that was on the shop owner's wife's 625 HP '70 Mustang...balanced and plenty strong for my current ~350 HP

7. handy_andy_cv64

Niiiiice. Reminds me of when my brother Tim, in his first car, a hopped-up '65 Stang, went to drag race someone in a Plymouth, and ripped his driveshaft out. He said he heard a 'snap' the car slowed down, then he heard the shaft roll into the gutter....

8. RancheroRandy

Exactly what I don't want to happen!

9. handy_andy_cv64

Of course not!

10. RancheroRandy

Well, I was hoping to bring home "Ruby" today, was close but no cigar...I did go for a ride as the passenger (that feels weird believe me!) for about 20 miles trying various throttling positions and scenarios. It definitely feels more like a hot rod now and will chirp the tires in the 1-2 gear shift very easily which is now pretty pronounce/firm. Since it has all the guts of a 4R/70W except the throttle body (and the electronics) and uses my previous C6 torque converter (with the appropriate one piece input shaft) it feels more like a 4 speed than a 3 speed with OD. You can definitely (as much as I could while in the passenger seat) tell the first gear ratio is lower and with a 3.70 rear end ratio it accelerates nicely from stops. My FST carb has continued to be some what of a problem (so much for the "cheap" price!) and I have had to replace the power valve and accelerator pump diaphragm as well as fix the secondaries which were slightly open at idle (and the float level was way too high). :mad: The guy that has been working on it ("AC" at C&S auto) was going to switch another carb he had just for fun to see how it runs with it...a 625 CFM Street Demon. Hopefully it will be in my garage this weekend...!? C&S1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  11. RancheroRandy

Finally got my heap back and what a big change for more reasons than just changing the transmission though it does significantly improve the drivability and fun factor. Two other problems became evident while adjusting the trans: the new Holley fuel pump would drop to 2.5 PSI after the engine warmed up ($125 so no cheapie and unfortunately past its 90 day warranty...of course! :mad:) and the brand new FST carb just would not tune right. So after a new fuel pump and changing to carb to a new Holley 4160 that my mechanic gave me a deal on (his price) I felt like yelling like Gene Wilder in Young Frankenstein "IT'S ALIVE!!!" :)

12. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!! Can you give a break down of what you did to the trans? I have an AOD that I am hemming and hawing about getting bench tested vs since its open, poking in those parts. The motor is coming together slowly and should be up by spring and I'm half debating on leaving the FMX in it till I blow it and get the AOD done later.

Cheers,

Doc

13. uk ranchero

uk ranchero In Third Gear

i have to agree with that . i went for 4R70W with MSD control

14. RancheroRandy

Well, it's essentially just and AOD case with 4R70W internals except for an AOD valve body; extra capacity pan; C6 input shaft so I was able to use the C6 torque converter which had a 2,000 rpm stall that is good enough for now.... ;) I kick myself for not getting more pics when it was being installed.