Back to work...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Jeff B, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Saff54

Saff54 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Another chapter…..good luck jeff

Jeff B likes this.
  2. Dyno

Dyno In Fourth Gear

Good Luck !!! Agree with BB on this one..

Jeff B likes this.
  3. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

My wife has said for a job, do what you liked as a kid. So I still play with my toys in the dirt, and build stuff. Maybe she's right (again)

Saff54 likes this.
  4. Jeff B

How about an update. Yes, the company I work for builds floats. Right now we are up to our armpits in projects for the Rose Parade. So far, 5 floats are done and moved off to the building by the Rose Bowl for finishing touches and eventually, flowers. By this Saturday we have to produce 5 more near-finished units for T of R inspection and its all hands on deck. I have been given Chevy 350 long blocks to make ready to run engines to drop into waiting float chassis. They run thru a T350 trans to a transfer case (in low range) to a ginormous truck axle to move these beasts. Also have done a Dodge 318 and set it up for hydraulic final drive, kind of like a tractor.
    Nice and easy to work the drive train on a pallet or stand, but it is a different deal when you have to crawl inside a closed up float to work on something. Kind of like working on your car under a house. I have been making brackets for mounting equipment, doing wiring and plumbing and processing parts and accessories that go into each unit. I have been asked not to post any pics on-line but the amount of detail and labor in each float from the ground up is really something. We weighed one of the larger new bare frames before assembly started and it was just over 9900 lbs.
    I have to say that the crew there is a bunch of nice people, will help each other with anything and I am having a blast and learning a lot. We have artists and painters, carpenters, mechanics, assemblers, welders, machine shop, CNC and waterjet. Plus art, engineering and project management. Quite the operation, and I feel pretty lucky to have found a place there.

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Wow, 9900 pounds? When one thinks about it, it just doesn't seem like they'd be that heavy. And, I had always thought the bare frames were kept year-to-year, just the float form would be changed for each year, but I guess I'm wrong.

6. Jeff B

You are correct, Andy, some chassis are stored and re-used. After the parade they are stripped and stacked. All or part of any frame can then be used in the next years parade. The key thing is safety and reliability. It is very bad form to have a float be towed especially where the cameras can see it. Lots of new wires, hoses, tires, brakes etc. go on to each unit. That is keeping me busy right now.

Saff54 and Kiwirancher like this.
  7. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

What a cool job!

Dyno and Jeff B like this.
  8. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I second that !

Jeff B likes this.
  9. Jeff B

Double secret spy photos from the cockpit of a float.
    float inside 20211112_071353_resized[485].jpg
    This is the drivers position. All of the fancy and pretty is on the outside. This is one of the hydraulic drive floats.
    Pump is powered by a 318 Dodge to a BIG truck axle. Air brakes using nitrogen tanks for pressure.

float inside 2  20211112_082423_resized[486].jpg
    This is the observers position. Separate pedals for front and rear brakes. Power cut off switch between the 2 operators. You can see the sun shining thru burlap laid over a steel cage frame for shape in this shot. The burlap gets sprayed with polyurethane foam for strength and this holds up the flowers when applied. Each operator has a screened "window" to look out of and they also follow a line painted on the street to keep things straight.
    We have 9 units done and 4 more to finish in the next 2 or so weeks.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  10. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Very cool! And I won't tell...

Jeff B likes this.
  11. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

How do you keep a secret between two people,..... never mind I think you exceeded the limit, secret is safe with me. Pretty cool job.

Jeff B likes this.