Backup Camera Thoughts

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by ForistellFord, Feb 22, 2019.

1. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

So, my E-350 (96, 460, 4.10 gears) has had one of those license plate mounted back up cams for a long time. It works great but is a little offset from reality because the plate well on these vans is in the middle of the right rear door, but that's fine.

Anyway, it is totally worthless when I am towing the pontoon boat around. Naturally, all I see is a big fat boat.

So I'm thinking I would like to put a camera up on the corner of the roof for backing the boat down the ramp. Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations for a good unit? I would prefer wired to wireless, and I have the monitor already so all I need is a camera.

2. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I installed one on my 2007 Silverado last year....my prerequisite was that I had a good view of the hitch and could use it to back into parking spots.... I also didn't want to punch holes in the tailgate. I ended up attaching it to the underside of the tailgate handle...out of sight, great viewing angle, but opening the tailgate is awkward.... Not sure what your limitations are. I have seen that some models of middle brake light lenses are available with a camera built in...probably not for your application....

Edit: As for a good unit, I like the camera I have...it had good ratings and has behaved for the first year of it's life.... I'll have to look up what it was...in the airport at the moment...I'll look it up later this weekend.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    ForistellFord likes this.
  3. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

I like the idea of the third brake light with a camera, mounted above your rear doors should work pretty good.

4. ForistellFord

I was thinking about putting it at the top rear corner, using it only when the big fat boat is blocking the door mounted one. Hoping there is one that won't stick up much above the already high roof line. I can't see anything at all trying to back down a ramp with the current one. Boaty is a pontoon so just about any location below the roof line will be obstructed.

TestDummy likes this.
  5. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Have you checked with the big class A motor home vendors ? I'd say nearly all of them have pretty good rear cameras. The one on my Foretravel 38' is fairly small but you can switch the view from looking down at the hitch to looking behind you at where you are backing into. Kinda' usefull for checking the road back there before lane changes, etc. The advantage I have is the camera is nearly 12' up high. Dad's new F-450 has a bunch of cameras that work with it's computer to let it back itself and a trailer into tight places. It also has a remote camera you can place on the trailer and view it and the other camera views on the dash monitor simultaneously. Your problem is the height of the boat. Maybe the aftermarket has cameras mounted in the outside rearview mirrors that would let you look past that big boat ? There has to be something out there you could adapt to the van to see better.

6. Basstrix

This is the camera I installed...it came as a package deal with a receiver I installed at the same time. I don't think this is a very good choice for what you want to do.

7. ForistellFord

It looks like it could mount OK, but I don't have a Pioneer unit to tie it to. I plan to just plug it in to the second port on my standalone display.

Also, it seems that the picture is reversed? How do you correct that.

@Hillbilly that's a good idea looking into RV places, I will also look there.

Right now I have this camera, and this display. They have both been flawless since installation in 2013. The display has a second input I will plug the new cam into. It's a no brainer install, I just need to be sure it will fit discreetly enough and plug and play with a plain old monitor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049LBJ56/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005I7UQ4K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TestDummy likes this.
  8. Basstrix

I believe the video signal is compatible many different displays. My receiver has the ability to reverse the image...they do that so your video screen will match that of a rear view mirror.

9. ForistellFord

Ah, I see. It seems my monitor can flip the image, I just never needed to. It has the AV composite input on it for two different inputs, sounds like it will probably work.

TestDummy likes this.
  10. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Great thread. Riveting stuff here.

11. ForistellFord

Hater!!! Just because Pat can't tow a boat doesn't mean you should pee on us folks with capable vehicles.

TestDummy likes this.
  12. TestDummy

What are you talking about? Pat can tow any number of boats. Probably a pontoon boat. It's mostly air and indoor/outdoor carpeting.

13. ForistellFord

That's what I thought too, but the '18 Pacifica with the 3.6l was all but rendered impotent trying to tug it home. Piece of crap.

14. TestDummy

Are you comparing a minivan to PAT!!!!?????

15. ForistellFord

You're right, I apologize. The Pacifica is far too nice to be compared to a vanilla mushroom like Pat. But I bet they tow about the same...

16. TestDummy

I can't believe we are arguing about which POS Chrysler product is the best. It's like which turd smell better, the one with corn or the one without.

17. ForistellFord

Good point. Even with the Hemi in my Durango, it would be a feeble washout if it tried to out-pull the 460.

18. TestDummy

At least we both have 460's. Can you imagine how emasculating it is to not have one?

19. ForistellFord

I wouldn't even dream of imagining it.

20. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Jeez, this is starting to sound a little "Chip & Dale-y" to me

Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 7.13.42 AM.png