Backup lights and dome light not working

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by 66Ranchero, Jul 15, 2017.

1. 66Ranchero

66Ranchero In Second Gear

Hey everyone!
    This is my first post one here. I just got my Ranchero on Tuesday and I'm loving it! Its got the 200 ci inline 6, manual steering, brakes and three on the tree! There are a couple of issues I need help fixing. First off, the dome light doesn't work at all. I replaced the bulb and nothing works. I'm assuming it could be a switch or something else that is faulty. Where does that light get power from? I wasn't able to find a wiring diagram for the '66. Second, the backup lights don't work either, and I replaced the bulbs and still nada. Could the reverse switch be bad? Where should I start?
    Thank you!
    -Hayden

2. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Welcome to the board, 66Ranchero. You might find the wiring schematic on this board, try the Search function.

Lighting switches are prone to failure, that's your best guess as a replacement part.

3. Sophie948

Sophie948 In Overdrive

On my '65 the problem with backup lights was the neutral safety switch on the tranny.

4. 66Ranchero

66Ranchero In Second Gear

Sweet! Thanks for the quick replies! I have a manual 3 speed. Is the neutral safety switch a tough fix or is it pretty accessable?

5. Bryan59EC

Bryan59EC In Overdrive

with a manual---there is no NSS
    Reverse switch may be mounted on the trans----not sure on a 3 spd (4spd is trans mounted)

Looking at the OEM wiring for my 65 (that shows a NSS), the switch gets it's power pretty much directly from the ACC on the ignition switch.
    (my drawing shows that it is connected to input side of the gauge voltage regulator---which is fed from the ACC on ignition switch)
    A black/red stripe wire from the Reverse switch to the backups.
    This may be a wire separate from the rear harness wires as these cars did not come with backups as standard equip. and I
    do not recall the wire being present in my 65.
    It does not appear that it is a fused circuit according to my drawing (not a good thing) and the switch appears to have a 2-wire pigtail.
    Easy to check continuity of the switch and check for voltage at the lead in.

But first---must find the reverse switch

6. Bryan59EC

Bryan59EC In Overdrive

Dome lights
    Should be fused----check for a bad fuse first-----always 12volts
    Fusebox>>>>>headlight switch>>>>>door switch>>>>>lamps
    Gets a little weird here as there is one constant hot going to the door switches and there is a switched wire going to the lamps and they are all plugged together.
    So---will your dome light come on if you rotate the headlight switch?????
    No--check for something that is not plugged in----wire coming down front A pillar in my 65 plugs into a 3 way connector under the dash---
    Do you have 12 volts at that wire when you rotate the knob?
    No----could very well be a bad headlight switch.

So---will your dome light come on if you rotate the headlight switch?????
    Yes-----bad door switches.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.