Bandwidth error

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by aquartlow, Dec 17, 2016.

1. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

What was with the bandwidth error and the inability to log on, anyone else have this issue, I know of 2 others besides myself. Is there a simple answer, cause I'm "all ears".

Cindy likes this.
  2. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

Too much traffic we hit our bandwidth limit. May have to upgrade servers but do not know if I can afford to make that move.

3. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

how many RANCHERO DOLLARS are need ??????????

4. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Thank you for the answer, that is both a good thing(more users, more people getting involved on this site) and a bad thing(possibly more website downtime). What is required for the mentioned "upgrade".

5. Cindy

Cindy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

...a double-edged sword, indeed.

6. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Lay it on the table Billy.
    I suspect a lot of people will step up to make it happen.
    They will also understand that you need more than just enough to do it at the moment as downsizing has costs also.

You , Dan, and Carl expend a lot of time and effort for little or no recompense, I really believe many members would step up to the plate if they only knew the situation, and we have a lot of new members.

7. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Damn, this makes me feel like the Grinch, as I'm on SSI, and Medicare is giving me the rectal works without a glove or lube. Damn.

8. ribald1

Not intended to make you feel bad.
    There are enough of philanthropic people here that there is no need to shame anyone for not contributing money. Many, like yourself, contribute hard won experience and that is a valuable contribution.
    On the other hand, people who come here looking for and receiving help really should consider dropping $5 or $10 or more into the pot.

9. 72 5.4 triton

72 5.4 triton In Second Gear BRONZE MEMBER

I got that the other day. I wouldn't mind donating.

10. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Jimbob likes this.
  11. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Is there anybody using this board who would complain about some advertising content, so you could in fact get a free [and reliable] board? Would not bother me at all.

ForistellFord likes this.
  12. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

Looking into different hosting services

13. Unclebrad

Unclebrad In Fourth Gear SILVER MEMBER

I really think that the absence of advertising on the site is wonderful. There is something about getting content without the distractions. You don't see that too much anymore. I'd love to see the site stay "ad free".

Having said that, if a limited number of ads would significantly help pay the costs of keeping the site going, I would be ok with it.

14. ribald1

We know you want corporations to control content here, but you are in the minority.

15. ribald1

Going the ad route would change this forum dramatically.
    You need a lot of traffic to get advertisers to place on your site without ending up having them end up controlling many aspects and requiring a lot of time and effort by the site owner.
    Bill doesn't like to ask for money, and resists philanthropic efforts because he doesn't want to feel indebted to people who put up money. Having the funding come from advertising would be far worse than a philanthropist trying to throw his weight around.
    You can get a banner under your name showing that you support the site for a piddling sum. The Platinum banner (the highest one) costs less than $10 a month. Fact is that if the majority of the members chipped in $20 a year (less than $2 a month) Bill would not have to sweat issues like this.
    Right now things are tight due to the holidays, but next year when things settle down, consider dropping a nickel, dime, or quarter to keep this place going.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

16. Unclebrad

Unclebrad In Fourth Gear SILVER MEMBER

Thanks for your insight about what taking on ads could do. I hadn't realized that it would create more stress and headache.

As I said, I really like it ad free, and I did donate earlier to try to help keep it that way.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  17. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Bill, you could sell it to a professional forum service. A lot of automotive and general interest forums do this. You could make a buck or two and be done with the heavy administrative stuff. Someone would be interested I'm sure.

You sell it off to a webring and you no longer have to deal with the bandwidth, hosting fees, domain registration, maintenance and upgrades, etc. And it would cut out the pressure on highly experienced and qualified members like burninbush who are far less active because they can't even make an automotive or other non-political comment without being immediately jumped on (see above). It's a win-win for you and the site. More moderators, no more out of pocket. The sites I admin that are webringed are far less 'needy' than the privately owned sites. You will always be the founder and heart of the place. Maybe it's time you backed off and took a break from it.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    TestDummy likes this.
  18. handy_andy_cv64

There are upsides and downsides to a webringed site. I'm a memeber on Fullsizebronco.com, and though it really relieved the burden for the original site owner, IIRC, when he sold it, it was a direct buy-out, so he has the upfront money, but nothing coming in month-to-month, whereas when he owned it, there was a revenue stream for him. as for us, we've been fairly blessed that the webring overlord has been benevolent and fairly hands-off, simply because one of the mods is one of the longest-running members, and he worked for Microsoft many moons ago, so his input helps keep the site on an even keel. Many things for Bill to certainly consider, but hopefully this site is able to keep on in its current iteration. Family is family, good friends are great to have around.

19. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

But in Bill's case, there is no revenue stream. Only operating expenses offset by whatever users choose to donate. He pays a lot for this place, especially since there's no advertising or other means of support.

TestDummy likes this.
  20. handy_andy_cv64

Right, since I don't know bill, I don't know what his situation is. However, if it can be kept this way for the forseeable future, I would hope Bill will already have his ducks in a row if the time comes to make the change to advertisements on this forum.