Bed Drain Cover

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by RancheroRandy, Nov 5, 2018.

1. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Fourth Gear

Got the bed drain cover hinged...first project to make the new heap "mine"....plenty on the list = $$$ Hinged Bed Drain Cover.jpg

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Perfect place to stash a shotgun, rifle, and ammunition.

3. RancheroRandy

How'd you know? ;)
    I'm old enough to remember the "good old days" when you didn't have to stash them...hang 'em in the pick-up and go to HS with them...

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  4. RancheroRandy

So I rerouted the fuel line today. Interesting how some people "overcome" problems, namely the fuel line lying on the exhaust: header wrap, that will do 'er! Sheesh... Fuel line mess.jpg

5. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Please forgive the question I am asking, don't mean to cause alarm, but does there need to be any ventilation in that space to remove the gases (hydrogen) when the battery charges?

6. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

The amount of hydrogen released by a battery is very small unless the battery is being extremely overcharged. You can tell how much hydrogen is being created by noting how fast the liquid in the battery disappears and needs to be replaced.
    Hydrogen is lighter than air and he would have to take serious measures to make the area air tight before it could accumulate there.
    I work in rooms with hundreds of batteries in use, some have over a thousand, and these places don't blow up due to hydrogen build up.

7. RancheroRandy

I didn't like the 4 different shades of red that were in the interior so I have been slowly changing things over to black...oh, and a new steering wheel. New Seat.jpg
    Vinyl paint on the door panels worked nicely but the armrests seemed to flake pretty easily even after meticulous prep.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  8. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Did you use paint instead of dye? There should be a vinyl dye that soaks in, so that you don't have flaking.

9. DJ Clinton

DJ Clinton In Second Gear

I used the same gauge console, but decided to go black and didn't use the polished metal insert, and went with black framed gauges.

Attached Files:

RancheroRandy likes this.
  10. RancheroRandy

I used paint (Duplicolor) because it supposedly was "flexible"....I guess I'm still naïve in my old age... :oops:

11. handy_andy_cv64

Ah. Some are, like Imron, but the surface has to allow the paint to grab. But look into whether there is a dye for your color; I remember someone telling me that was how they changed the parts color for for their replacement interior.

12. RancheroRandy

This baby makes it much easier to steer for a one-armed bandit...! Steering knob.jpg Sold my wheels and tires yesterday to a gentleman from Gastonia (and told him about this site) who has a '65 Ranchero and purchased 2 black Torq-Thrust D's (7"width, 3.75" BS, 15" diameter) to start with...gonna play around with tire sizing and see what 225/60/15 looks like in the front...and maybe the back. Had some left-over 205/65/15s from my ill-fated 351W Ranger project that I used for fitting/visual purposes...actually don't look too bad! 205.65.15.jpg

HuevosRanchero and TestDummy like this.
  13. handy_andy_cv64

Yeah, that tire size is not too bad looking, so it just comes down to whether it rubs on hitting a bump or, God forbid, having a load in the bed.

14. RancheroRandy

I put 400lbs on the tailgate (opened of course!) and loads of room, then jumped up and down on the loaded tailgate as well (after looking to make sure nobody in the neighborhood was watching, ha!) and still seemed to have plenty of room....KYBs seem to do their job well and the tailgate supports did shear either! ;) Time will tell....

15. handy_andy_cv64

Nice. I'm 400+ pounds, and have regularly tested my tailgate. Still in place so far. Have you considered rear airbags, just in case?

16. RancheroRandy

I likes 'em! new wheels1.jpg

LSChero and beerbelly like this.