Bed mounted roll bar

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Torkair, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Torkair

Torkair Guest

I figured I should ask before I do it. I would like to put a roll bar in the bed of the 72 and mount the spare on it, but I wonder if I can get it bent to match the contours of the cab.

On an entirely different note, I've been thinking that the HUGE space behind the seets would be a great place to put the rear speekers (after it has a radio of course). Just a thought.

2. 75 Squire

75 Squire In Maximum Overdrive

Sarah has her speakers mounted back there and I am going to mount mine there also. After I am done with the 5 speed conversion that is.

The roll bar? You might not want to do that. You would only be mounting it to the cover plate for the cubby hole and I doubt it would like having a spare haging there. Its libel to leak also. If you are bound and determined to do that at least take it all the way down and mount it on the frame. I know it would involve cutting holes in the bed and floor boards but its the only way give it any strength. But why go to all that effort when you can just chain down in the bed and throw a tonneau over the bed.

3. Torkair

Torkair Guest

good point, although I'm not too fond of the bed covers. But I'm sure I'll think of something, but for now I need to get spark plugs and plug wires.

4. ncranchero

ncranchero In Fourth Gear

Sent you pics of one in a 70 GT parts car I bought....... Photo by the junk man I bought it from.
    [​IMG]

[ January 11, 2007, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: ncranchero ]

5. yeah...as to speakers..i have the 2 in the doors... 2 shallow mounts (so the magnets dont get to the cab wall ) on the steel lip on the uppper portion..just beneath the rear window..and two subs.. in the cubbies..one is one of those spare tire subs ..an old pioneer unit ..that fits inside the spare tire...and sounds great.. and the other is one in a standard cube style box... sounds pretty good.. if i say so myself..for a home brew system.. also mounted a graphic equalizer to that rear lip..in easy reach for adjustments..

6. sarah

sarah Pic Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Yep my speakers are back there but I'm going to plant them to the sides to allow for more storage I've also recieved a couple nifty lights to put down under there Thank you very much Mr. Ellebee... When I get to the point of installing I'll post them in my thread. As for the Roll cage... I don't think its a grand idea either...but that is my opinion. I have mine chained tightly to the tie downs... that tire isn't going anywhere... :D

7. Bob Hardie

Bob Hardie In Fourth Gear

Here's an inside rollbar in my '73 Ranchero. [​IMG] (well, it's the start of one :rolleyes: ).
    But you asked if one could be bent to follow the rear contours. If they could follow the inside on mine, I'd think the outside would be no problem. Like was said before, unless you go clear thru to the frame, it would only be for looks, and would probably leak. This trash is coming out of mine as soon as I start on that one.

8. Smile_n_Jax

Smile_n_Jax Guest

Hey, ncranchero, that parts truck wouldn't happen to have the hidden headlights, would it? I'm looking for the doors and attaching clips.

e-mail me

[ January 11, 2007, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: Smile_n_Jax ]

9. CJ Guy

CJ Guy In Maximum Overdrive

Just a Question, why would you want one? If it's just for the look, mount it anywhere. The ranchero isn't really a good handling road racing truck, so I am confused as to why?

10. ncranchero

I just bought it to save it from the crusher. It DID have but I sold the whole thing to a friend. Could have made some bucks off of the hide-a-ways and hood but what are friends for........
    [​IMG]

11. ray55classic

ray55classic Guest

it wouldn't be that hard to fabricate the roll bar, but just like all the other posts said mounting it where it had any strength would be a major undertaking .it would be easier to mount a roll bar inside the cab behind the seat , and make 2 gussets that go by the side of the seats, the frame would be easier to access and you wouldnt have the leaking issue.....ray

12. ncranchero

I'm pretty sure that old roll bar in the parts car was just heavy duty exhaust tubing.....for looks and light mounting only.

13. Shrek

Shrek Guest

Unfortunately, something that follows the contours of the outside of the cab is not going to be as effective in a real rollover and in fact may cause problems for rescuers...I can think of several crashes I've worked that the "Looks" rollbar had to be cut off before we cold get the people out...especially on Chevy trucks fo some reason...they bend too easy in the middle. Thank God for 24-volt SAWZALL!! hehehe chops them bars right apart ;)

[ January 14, 2007, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: Shrek ]

14. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Shrek ... just for info, what sort of blades do you use in your Sawzall? I have one of those here, never thought to use it on metal for some reason.

15. Torkair

Torkair Guest

Alright, no roll bar. The one from the parts car looked pretty ulgy anyhow.

16. 79er

79er In Third Gear

Has anyone ever seen a ranchero that was in a rollover?? ;)

17. Shrek

Shrek Guest

Actually, the Cheif buys the blade, I've never really looked that close at 'em other than to note that they were for use on metal.

Come to think of it, I've not seen any of the LTDII, Cougar, Tbird from that era flipped..head on collision, yeah :D

Someone find us a flip crash pic!!

18. ray55classic

ray55classic Guest

the thick,or should i say tall blades made by lennox called the "torch" holds up very good. the demolition blades from milwaukee do also. don't buy the long ones{8 to 10 inches] of any brand they bend too easily use the 4"or 6". just do like shrek says and keep the speed down and most brand name blades will last and cut very well. { a little oil or cutting fluid applied works wonders}.....ray

[ January 17, 2007, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: ray55classic ]

19. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Cool -- thanks for the blades info. I'll have to pick up some next hardware store trip.

20. Shrek

Shrek Guest

WD 40 is a wonderfull thing :D

After thinking a bit more on the subject, the main reason for folks getting trapped by the bar was that upon a crash, the frame would bend at the cab/bed area causing the roll bar to slightly crush the cab just enough to where the doors wouldn't open...which meant you had to cut the bars, then peel the roof to get folks out. I can say that triple chrome bars are ery pretty, but I'd probably not put them on a regular pickup truck.

As far as a ranchero ould go, I can't see them bending at that particular point because the frame & body are attached at that point...unlike a regular pickup truck. Unless there was severe frame rust under that area....