Beerbelly's reunion road trip photos, part 1

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by beerbelly, Aug 26, 2018.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Highlights of the trip were the Bonneville Salt Flats, the Grand Tetons, my 50th class reunion, Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Little Big Horn, and Glacier Park.

Got to see Danny Thompson's record runs of 446 and 450 mph to break his Dad's record. Bonneville is a surreal, otherworldly place, with temps. of 106˚ and 102˚ the two days we were there. Had to bail right after Danny's second run to find a hotel with A/C & shower! I have almost 300 photos of the trip, but I've tried to whittle them down to a minimum, starting with Bonneville:

IMG_9202.JPG IMG_9205.JPG IMG_9207.JPG IMG_9209.JPG IMG_9212.JPG IMG_9263.JPG IMG_9222.JPG IMG_9303.JPG IMG_9299.JPG IMG_9313.JPG

Kiwirancher, Cindy, Jeff B and 3 others like this.
  2. T16592

T16592 In Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

BeerBelly ! Great stuff . Can’t wait to get to a computer so that I can see the images in large format. Looks like a tent next to the Ranchero? Did you sleep on the salt flats?

3. T16592

Saving these for tonight’s TV dinner instead of watching reruns of night rider , :D Thanks man for posting !

4. beerbelly

Yep, tent-camped at the Bend in the Road area, just before you enter the salt flats. No charge, and no facilities other than Porta-Potties. Tented most of the trip too, and was pleasantly surprised by KOA campgrounds. Never had stayed there before, but all have tent & RV sites, pools, free showers, and laundries.

5. Pookieja

Pookieja In Second Gear

looks like a cool time..

6. T16592

Ok , finished my lovely TV dinner of steak and bake potato , now time to reply.
    With temps of 106 , I think you need a bigger umbrella ;). And the pic of you with the blue line, are you running the track ? Is there a speed limit if you are just driving? Did the red falcon run? If so do you it’s speed?
    And has it been 50 years already? I remember the Hot Rod magazines with Mickey Thompson driving everything, well except for motorcycles , I think. Hey it’s been 50 years haha, thanks for the pics :)

7. Saff54

Saff54 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Looks like a dream trip Already BB!

8. beerbelly

No, the blue line is there to indicate the way out to the viewing area and the pits. I believe it's about 6 miles out onto the salt. Speed limit is posted at 45 mph. The red Falcon was driven down from Alberta by those two Canadians; it had a 200 six with a big cam & 3 carbs on an Australian intake manifold, and they were just spectating. Cool guys.

9. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Fourth Gear

Great pics for sure . Nice looking red Ranchero coupe !!
    Denis.

10. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Will have to add that to the list!