Boats

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ForistellFord, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

What sonar setup do you have?

2. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I looked this engine up and down and I don't see any plugs or snorkel type channels. I will probably have to sneak it in with the throttle grommet routing. I'd way prefer that over a new drilled hole, but I'll see how it looks when I get into it (when it warms up. Sub-freezing boat work ain't no fun).

Basstrix likes this.
  3. ForistellFord

I have the Elite-9ti with that huge hot-dog-looking transducer. Connected to a Motorguide xi5 trolling motor. The autopilot and anchor stuff is just awesome, perfect for a little toon like mine.

4. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Right on, that's good stuff! Mine has that transducer also. The sidescan is awesome, no?

I would love to get one of the new autopilot trolling motors like you have. My buddy just got MinnKota's version and he loves it.

Funny story: Back in the early 2000's there was an innovate company that came out with, at the time, the best consumer grade sonar available (when it worked)...anyway, they came up with a trolling motor that would follow a contour line and keep you in a specific depth....but it had a bug....if it came to a very steep (vertical) edge, it might do a hard 90 deg turn....it became known for throwing fishermen off the front of the boat due to the unanticipated hard right/left turn.

ForistellFord likes this.
  5. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

BOAT
    big hole in the water to throw money into

6. ForistellFord

The last finder I had was one of those age old LCD screen Humminbirds, the kind I'd used in the 80's and 90's. I actually hadn't kept up on finder advancement so this is almost like cheating. I am still trying to get used to the Elite and all the capabilities. Geez, even GPS and stuff. No more pulling out the huge paper topo map and searching for nav markers. Crazy.

I don't have a Hillbilly budget, so I had to decide where the investment was going to go. I have always hated minding the trolling motor, especially when rigging up or doing something distracting, only to find you've drifted about a foot from the bank. So I decided the investment would be in a good finder, and a troller that I could set and be hands off with. Really enjoy the fishing time a lot more this way.

Basstrix likes this.
  7. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I keep this photo in my Patriot, in the visor. I pull it out occasionally to remind myself that I once had a life. 30 years old, single, new truck, new boat, new house, living it up. Two years later I had a wife, kid, rusting truck, house the wife wanted, and no boat.
    [​IMG]

8. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Please tell me you at least still have that rusting Ford?

9. ForistellFord

Nope. Mister Big Bux tosses them out when they get dirty even.

10. TestDummy

You shut the hole!! In 2007, when I moved to VA, that truck was 14 years old, used primarily as a daily driver. You daily drive something in Michigan, you get more rust than you can possibly imagine. The area around the cab mounts was rusting, and collapsing. The bed had rust holes in it. I was replacing brake lines every time I drove it, because they were rusting out. Radiator mount was, you guessed it, rusting. It ran good, and the trans was okay, but I didn't want to bring it with me. I brought the $950 I got for it with me instead.

11. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Ah. Oh, well. And I bet the drivetrain was rusting away anyway. But it was a good-looking rig in its heyday.

12. TestDummy

Weren't we all. Weren't we all?