Boss Audio implementation..

Discussion in 'Car and Home Audio' started by FordR500GT, Aug 31, 2017.

1. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Overdrive

As much as I would love to keep things stock in my Ranchero, I've just been thinking that it isn't very practical. I've already purchased the head unit, but I need some advice on speakers and an amp. I know Boss isn't the best quality, but i'm fine with it. So here's what the setup will be: https://jet.com/product/detail/5a14...&clickid=923fb8fb-2fcc-4ccf-a371-84d868248ac8

https://www.bossaudio.com/product/c...stereo-in-dash-single-din-boss-audio-bv7335b/

Of course, I also bought an 8 gauge amp wiring Kit. What do you think? Should I pair the speakers and amp with everything else?

2. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Considering the limited locations for speakers, low in the doors and low in the rear, along with the space being very limited (getting those in the doors is going to be tricky), I would recommend decent 5" woofers with separate tweets rather than the built in. That way you can move the tweets up so they are not muffled.
    You can always drop a big speaker under the seat or in the spare tire cubby with it's own amp if you want to punch it up later, or now.

3. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Overdrive

What about putting the s inch speakers in the doors. I already have 2 6X9 boxes that are mounted in the spare tire area. I plan on putting a woofer box in the back too

4. ribald1

You have to work with what you have, but any decent speaker will be round. Go to water, in a bucket even. Push the end of a round stick or dowel in and out of the water and look at the waves. Then do it with something not round, preferably oval. You will see the distortion.
    If you do the front right, you can always go back and redo the rear later. I think that a separate amp that adds the two rear channels is best for the sub woofer.
    If you are short on funds, buy the best speakers you can afford and use a cheap amp. Unless you are cranking it up any amp will do, but no amp can make up for poor speakers. Putting quality speakers on the radio without an amp will sound substantially better than cheap speakers with an amp.
    Infinity and others make excellent speakers that will work well with just the radio yet can be upgraded by adding an amp later.

5. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Overdrive

I inherited an old Jensen Mosfet 500 WATT 4 channel amp that i can use for the woofer. I bought some better boss speakers and 400 WATT amp, but they never delivered it.

6. ribald1

The old Jenson is a good unit, but not for the woofer. You can't bridge it to a single channel.
    I would use it for the primary amp and get a bridgeable 2 channel for the hammer.

7. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Overdrive

I'll see what works. I'm total NOOB when it comes to car audio

8. ribald1

In that case, do yourself a favor and look into it and learn it before you start spending money.
    Like many things, the difference between quality and crap is knowing how to do the job right.

9. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Overdrive

Ive been looking for the past few months. I'm not looking for amazing quality, Just something that works well

10. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

Do not be fooled with cheap products that list Max power and no other specs. You need to find out RMS power, RMS power is clean constant power. A 300 watt RMS 4 channel amp would be great for a Ranchero. 75 watts RMS to each front speaker set to flat on amp crossover, 2 rear channels bridged to mono with a small or shallow mount sub, all equalization from head unit. I am installing a 400 watt RMS system in my sons car soon.

11. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Overdrive

I was definitely pleased with the speakers and head unit I bought, along with the free Rockford Punch P2 10 IN SUB brand new in box . Still looking for an amp with honest RMS. BOSS audio tends to lie

12. Rancherous

Yeah Sony, Boss and many others like to enhance buyers by throwing a huge PEAK power number on the amps.

13. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Overdrive

The amp I have came in a bundle with the speakers and head unit. I may use it for midrange, but not for the sub. Sub is 1000 watts,and amp is 400

14. ribald1

Another thing to watch for, especially with your sub amp is THD. A high THD is what makes a lot of powerful bas setups sound like a horse that has been fed too much broccoli.

15. Rancherous

That sub is 300W RMS not 1,000 again peak number.

16. Rancherous

17. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Overdrive

I will look into that for the one of the Q code Rancheros instead of the 2 h codes