brake boosters

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by RickMc, Oct 6, 2021.

1. RickMc

RickMc In Third Gear

Carid.com has a stock of boosters for the 77-79's. Passing this along as I know they have been hard to find. 500 in stock(centic rebuilds) so some other vendors may have as well.

2. thebruins

thebruins In Third Gear

Just a heads up for anyone considering that Centric booster. I had bad luck with it as it simply didn't fit. It appeared to be an '80s Thunderbird booster and the studs on it simply didn't line up with the holes in the firewall. Other people on the internet have complained about that as well although some people actually did get the right booster. Roll the dice...

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Could the firewall holes be hogged out to make it fit? Or would you have to drill new holes?

4. thebruins

thebruins In Third Gear

You would have to drill new holes. Also, the Centric booster has a slightly angled mounting surface which would tilt the Ranchero's master cylinder up, and the pedal push rod is way shorter so the Ranchero's brake pedal would be closer to the floor. I'm sure someone could get it to work, but I simply cut my losses and had another Ranchero booster rebuilt.
    I'll let the pictures do the talking, the centric booster and the booster that came out of my '79 Ranchero side by side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Crap, that's not even in the same ballpark :(

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The Centric one looks like an Explorer booster.

7. uk ranchero

uk ranchero In Second Gear

when i removed the failed booster from mine i discovered some clown had cut off one of the studs to make it "fit"

8. RickMc

RickMc In Third Gear

And of course,recieved a email now on backorder! Frustrating.