brake question

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by Clark, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

If my 2002 Ford Ranger (4WD) sets for a day or two, I can expect, unfortunately, for the brakes to be pretty ineffective for the first stop. Pretty good after a couple of stops. This is far worse if I've driven on wet roads before I parked it. The truck has disc brakes in the front and drums in the rear.

I'm thinking the front discs are rusting and the rust gets wiped off after a couple of stops.

Is this possible? Any good solution? I never experienced this with my Ranchero.

2. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I don't think the rust is going to be a problem. Check for thin front pads or a bad master cylinder. Have a look where the master meets the booster and see if there is any fluid there.

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

When you say the braking is ineffective, does the pedal travel farther than when the brakes start working better?

4. Clark

No excess pedal travel and no loss of brake fluid. Again, the brakes work well if I drive this truck every day.

I let it set for a week while in Vegas, drove it after my return, and nearly ran through a busy intersection before I got it to stop. Scary that time.

5. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Do you have the hydroboost brakes?
    If so, that sounds like a problem with the accumulator.
    I assume you already checked the fluid level in your brakes.

6. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Have you tried draining and completely replacing/exchanging the old brake fluid with new DOT 3 or 4 fluid. I do this to all my vehicles now after experiencing the results, I usually change it out every 2 years.

7. handy_andy_cv64

I don't think it's rust, but if it's not a master cylinder problem, it then sounds like something gets on the brakes then burns off. But in order to get to the bottom of this, a brake inspection, cleaning, lube and rear drum brake adjustment is in order, if for no other reason than to eliminate anything that could cause this symptom.

8. handy_andy_cv64

And one other question: does the truck roll on the original tire size? Or have you upgraded to larger-diameter tires?

9. Clark

Standard vacuum booster. I doubt the brake fluid has ever been changed but is on my list. Original tire size. The front pads are fine. I have never looked at the rear brakes but probably should.

I'm also thinking I should replace the vacuum hose to the booster just to be sure I haven't got a collapsing hose or rubber blocking the passage.

The brakes on this truck (since I inherited it 3 year ago) have never been anywhere as good as the wife's 2012 Edge.

10. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Just for kick's, brake pedal, on top, sink, hard to push,what are the symptoms. ? master cylinder go low on fluid, if so you may have a leak on one of the 4 corners and if you do it will feel like your sliding on ice until the brakes heat up, then they get sticky and grab.

11. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I wonder if you have moisture in your brake fluid, since you think it's old. Might be time for a fluid change.

12. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

time to flush the old stuff out and upgrade like Aquartlow suggested i have noticed a differance in peddle firmness since i change mine over to Dot 4

13. handy_andy_cv64

Both DOT 3 and 4 should make a marked improvement; the problem is how long the fluid will do its job after the requisite 2-year life is over.

14. Clark

At one time R1-concepts was the place to buy replacement brake rotors and calipers. Is that still the place to go?

15. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Check Rock Auto.