Brewin' beer today

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by beerbelly, Dec 31, 2018.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

A Stout, to help ward off the chill during the upcoming winter days. I built this rig back in 2000 after reading a bunch of how-to books, and it's worked great ever since. This is an all-grain system, a small version of how the big boys do it. No syrup or "Mr. Beer" stuff. I have an outdoor electrical outlet and water there too, so everything I need to run it.

I'm lucky to have a covered downstairs patio, so I can brew all year 'round without getting rained or snowed on. A couple years ago my buddy came down from Alaska in January (!), and we brewed an IPA; it was so cold that a couple of my plastic fittings broke, but luckily I had spares and we got 'er done.

IMG_9908.JPG adding hops.JPG Ovie, Ranchero & Jay.JPG

TestDummy and ForistellFord like this.
  2. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive

Awesome. I've yet to graduate from pre-school; I do Mr. Beer kits. They come out good but I wish I had time and space to go bigger like that. Jealous here!

3. beerbelly

I offer encouragement Foristell, since you're a beginning brewer. Moving up to all-grain requires a considerable investment in equipment, but your next step up to syrups is easy, using equipment you may already have at home. And you'll immediately notice the improvement from Mr. Beer. Skol!

ForistellFord likes this.
  4. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive

Have a recipe for a milk stout or a favorite IPA (2 gallons, that's Mr. Beer size)?

5. beerbelly

Sadly, no. All-grain recipes don't translate well, if at all, to Mr. Beer. But my favorite IPAs are Sierra Nevada "Celebration" ale, or locally, Laurelwood's "Workhorse" IPA. I have done a few milk stouts using lactose, which sweetens them up for easier drinking if you don't care for that roasted barley bite so much.

And I just brewed Sierra Nevada's "Resilience" IPA; the brewery is posting the recipe online for any large or small brewers who wish to brew it, as long as they agree to provide 100% of the sales profits to go to a fund to help out victims (including their own employees) of the Camp fire:
    https://www.sierranevada.com/resilience-butte-county-proud-ipa

As you can tell, I'm a big fan of S.N. and all they do for the brewing community.

6. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Beerbelly the Bootlegger :D

7. beerbelly

8. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

Beer, what about the beer?
    On August 23 of this year, Senator Alan Cranston (D-CA) and Senators Schmitt (MN), Bumpers (AR), and Gravel (AK) proposed an amendment to this bill (Amdt. No. 3534). The amendment called for equal treatment under the law for home winemakers and home beer brewers. Brewing 100 gallons per adult, up to 200 gallons per household, would be permitted for personal use
    WOW
    200 GALLONS PERSONAL USE, ARE THOSE JALAPENO YOUR ADDING JAY

9. beerbelly

No Andy, that's my buddy from Alaska adding some hops to the brew. 100/200 gal. per year is generous- I've done 60 per year, about 5 gal. a month on a good year.

c-335-hops.jpg

andrewok1 likes this.
  10. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

So do you grow your hops & barely:D make it home

11. beerbelly

Hops yes, barley no. The yellow stuff in the hop cones is the magic lupulin, which isomerizes when boiling the beer to give it bitterness; it also acts as a preservative.

Hop bines.JPG Lupulin.JPG

12. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Jay, I can honestly say that you never cease to amaze me. Your beer talents are awesome. :D

13. beerbelly

Thanks Phil. But I can't build a car to do burnouts like yours! I wish I was able to upload that video you sent me.

14. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Heck, I wish I could, too. :oops:

15. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Thanks for posting BB. Very interesting.

16. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I had wanted to get Dad into home brewing, since he was such a beer lover, but he made the declaration that he preferred others to do the work...oh, well.