Broken shifter in my '64

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Blanco, Aug 5, 2012.

1. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

It appears to have only a top bearing, and the shaft secured by 3839.
    As the box is the same for both power and manual, the box must have a short shaft that the long shaft slips on to. As the coupler may be fixed to the end of the long shaft, removal all the way to 3511 may likely be required.

2. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Does it matter that his car is a '64?

3. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

His 64 will have a one piece shaft all the way to the sector gear. Difference between power and manual is pitman arm.

4. ribald1

Sounds like he should give the thread chaser a try.

5. 5.0 Chero

Yup !

6. Blanco

Blanco In Overdrive

Looks like I don't have much to chase, I'll go take a picture in a bit, got a new nut, but doubt theres enough thread left to take hold, I'm gonna just try a snug tightening & hope thats good enough, yrt knowing me I always over tighten & will probably rui whats left.

Wish me luck, I really liked the JB-Weld Idea to help fill it in or maybe some soft lead, but that would not solve the lack of threads at all. :(

7. 5.0 Chero

BAD IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Blanco

Blanco In Overdrive

Now I just gotta find my red lock-tight.

9. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

There is no way to make this easy. The cheapest and best way is to find another gearbox. If the threads are chewed off there will be nothing there to chase and to hold the nut on when done. The whole gear box is going to have to come out to get the shaft out (one piece). Falconparts may have a source for another box or you'll have to find a 64-65 Falcon or Comet. Somebody out there has to have one. A Machine shop could rebuild the threads but you will have to disassemble the box so they can work the shaft and then you rebuild the box. When safety and liability are involved, always replace the part.

10. Lincolnut

Lincolnut In Third Gear

'NEVER' Take shortcuts with Steering or Brakes those two parts of a car/build will KILL you or someone you love......................just my .02...:(

Mike

11. DonC

DonC In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Sounds like only a 64/65 would work if otherwise I have a 62 gearbox I just threw out back in my scrap pile. If the shaft is the same I could pull shafta nd send it to you. Sounds like the easiest thing to do is to pull the shaft out and have someone weld and cut you a new set of threads. Not hard to do have had it done and done it a few times on old impossible to get parts.

12. ribald1

Loc tight won't help a loose nut. It needs a snug fit to work.

13. Blanco

Blanco In Overdrive

Here's what I've got to work with..... :eek:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Without the wheel, the new nut seems to have a good hold?
    I didn't bother with the wheel yet.

14. ribald1

The wheel will sit proud a bit. That is probably why you have 2 threads left.
    That thing is so abused that you could not even build it up with flame spray and cut threads into it without machining.
    Sorry:(

15. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

wow, those parts look tired and done.

there's a steering gearbox business that usually attends the long beach swap meet.
    he does swaps and rebuilds. i'll have to dig up his info. for you.

i think he's in lawndale/hawthorne or LA.

16. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

Checked the Hollander book to see the interchange for your steering gearbox. It shows 64-65 Falcon and Comet only There are two size of sector shaft, 1 inch or 1-1/8 whether it has power steering or not. You could try to file the threaded area down one size and rethread to either SAE or metric what ever you can get a proper type of nut to fit.

17. ribald1

Cutting it down and using a smaller nut would work, just be aware that you are reducing the strength of the part. Do so at your own risk.
    In a collision you are going to impact the steering wheel hard. If it breaks off, you will be thrashing around at the mercy of the column.
    The safety requirements in these older vehicles were very low to begin with.
    Even if 99% of people that cut a corner like this have no problem, the 1% do, and luck is for rabbits.

18. Blanco

Blanco In Overdrive

Thanks I'd be very interested in this info.

19. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

Blanco quote > Here's what I've got to work with.....
    ribaldi quote > Cutting it down and using a smaller nut would work, just be aware that you are reducing the strength of the part. Do so at your own risk.

Everything I do is at my own risk IF I take and utilize advice from internet sources!

I`d get the next size die from the tap and die set and make new threads, buy a new nut and move on to the next project...

I`d do so at my own risk, just as walking down the sidewalk...

Yes, I used to climb outta the bucket at max height then climb the pole to the top to work it when I was lineman...

20. ribald1

Yes, people take risks all the time.
    It is important, though, that a person realize what the risk is before they take it.
    You drive a vehicle with rusted out floorboards. Many would not.
    Suggesting that another take a risk, just because you would is irresponsible.
    When working with a tool, like an auto, that results in tens of thousands of deaths every year more than a few people prefer to avoid actions that increase the possibility of that outcome. There is nothing wrong with that position.
    That is why I made no judgment as to whether or not he should choose that solution. I merely pointed out a potential downside.