Buckets or bench?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by beerbelly, Dec 7, 2018.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Well, I pretty much have all my winter Ranchero projects done, so I'm just havin' a beer and contemplating any future changes.

cbolt recently posted some pix of his cool Scat Pro 90 buckets, which I also considered a couple years ago, but I ultimately went with reupholstering my stock bench seat. My wife gets to sit right next to me on cruise nights, and she & I along with my buddy Denny went 3-across on a 180 mile round trip to go Dungeness crabbing on the Oregon coast this summer. Couldn't do that with buckets. But it is my car, and buckets still seem to be calling to me because they would also give me the option of a center console for extra storage, cup holders. etc.

Opinions?

2. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yeah, storage space is, er, limited on a ranchero with a bench seat. Hard to fish around behind the seat while driving, and besides, the spare (and my speakers) were back there. Built a little console in front of the floor shift, but it wouldn't hold an awful lot.

3. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Whatever you do, don't get rid of the bench seat, Put it in the garage and hold onto it.

cbolt, andrewok1 and ForistellFord like this.
  4. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

All my Torinos and Rancheros had benches, so that's where my loyalty lies.

5. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

I come from T-Birds and I am highly enamored with a split bench set up. Same tracks as buckets but you have the option to let momma snuggle in or put your buddy in his place. I am seriously considering (when I find some) having a "notch" cut out for a console as the final version will be a T-56 six speed. That will give me cup holder room with the stick as well as momma happiness.

Cheers,
    Doc

6. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I have the comfy sofa bench but am installing buckets from a Mercury Milan so I can move to a console and floor shift. All depends on what your goal is.
    The Milan seats are very comfy as well and not 50 years old.

7. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yeah, the full bench is a bit of a hassle, and I'd love to have a 50-50 or 60-40 split bench, even if it meant no center console or floor shift. Funny what you're used to after all the years and miles you spent on the road. I found a Cougar a decade ago when the yard was Pull-a-Part, but no funds and no help to snag the front clip and the entire front blue interior from it, including the blue leather split full power bench.:oops:

8. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

yes DO NOT , get rid of your bench seat , (so I'm just havin' a beer and contemplating any future changes) JUST HAVE A 12 PACK , then it will come to you in your dreams !!!!!

beerbelly likes this.
  9. Jeff B.

Jeff B. In Second Gear

15113D96-3693-45BE-9E13-55A9B65BE4B9.jpeg 0742F6AD-8859-416A-BCDA-E4B69C584E0A.jpeg 2B519C91-1501-4F14-9A69-2CC0A41AE708.jpeg My ‘74 had a bench that was harder than a rock and the vinyl was so slick I had to brace myself turning corners to keep from sliding. After 12 years of ownership I executed an interior facelift that included replacing the brown seat and carpet with black carpet and Corbeau sport bucket seats. I like the look and it is so much more comfortable! I also built a console using matching vinyl and cloth from Corbeau.

And I sold the bench to a fellow Ranchero owner for his ‘77.

PS: Jeff B, sorry for accidentally almost stealing your username. Had I known when setting up my account I would have picked something completely different.o_O

beerbelly and ForistellFord like this.
  10. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Bench, fo shizzle. I had a Chevelle with a bench, and after a good ArmorAll treatment, I began doing some donuts in the Meijer parking lot. I slid to the passenger side door, hard, barely hanging onto the steering wheel. Good times.

11. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

The good old days, more cajones than brains, amazing the things that we lived through.

TestDummy likes this.
  12. ForistellFord

Forgetting the obvious "buckets in a Chero" argument... it has no back seat. Hubba Hubba!!!

TestDummy and 1965 Ranchero 66G like this.
  13. 1965 Ranchero 66G

True, but the bed is small and perfect for a back in at the drive in, which we still have one here in town.

Kiwirancher and ForistellFord like this.
  14. ForistellFord

Maybe when I was younger. Comfort is actually a factor anymore. Probably why the automobile is not the first choice. Except the van...

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  15. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Yeah the van, did that in the 70's with the back doors open, but a queen mattress fit's pretty good between the wheel wells on an old Chero.

16. handy_andy_cv64

I did that when I saw Shrek, in my Squire. I didn't have the speaker pedestals attached to anything, so I hung them in the doors, pointing aft, and sat on my cooler in the bed.

17. TestDummy

You did the nasty watching Shrek? What part?

ForistellFord likes this.
  18. handy_andy_cv64

How in God's name did you get "did the nasty" from sitting on a cooler? That leap dropped you straight into the empty swimming pool....

19. TestDummy

Follow the trail, young Grasshopper, and the truth will find you. The truth which has many layers. Like onions, Ogres, and parfaits.

20. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

I have never heard of someone taking advantage of a Cooler at the drive in before..