Button Dilema

Discussion in 'Car and Home Audio' started by Fomoco8, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Fomoco8

Fomoco8 In Maximum Overdrive

Seems every time i find an older style (70's early 80's) radio the damn selector buttons will not work... Even resetting them by pulling out then setting the station and pushing them back in doesn't work... Anybody got some insight as to why the things do that? Out of 10 potential donors I have only found 2 that the tuner buttons worked properly... I found a perfect AM/FM cassette today and try after try the buttons just won;t work.. A pisser for sure...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2010
  2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

They are mechanical, they wear out.
    If one had a mind to, I am sure it could be dissasembled and repaired.

3. Fomoco8

Yeah Ive been looking at that route,,Ford didn;t make it easy to get access to them thats for sure... Most I find don't seem so much worn out as stuck,, The buttons will pop out and back into place but the adjusters don;t move ,,. I have a donor here at the house thats gonna get the treatment tonight.........

4. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

kewl! take pics... buttons in the wifes cobra work fine...(same style radio as found in most 70's vehicles) but no sound output...have a donor I need to combo with it to make one good original worker... only diff is its a factory cassette instead of 8 track..

5. Fomoco8

Sorry HR,,I went digging in the parts pile and its nowhere to be seen,,, Thought sure I had one,.Must have went out in the last garage purge,......I can tell ya from taking them apart before is that over a short span Ford changed the cassette carriers for the better as years went by... Wether they will swap in the chassis is a toss up. Taking one apart is a matter of remembering what went where and almost all connections are marked on the corresponding circuit board by color making hook ups easier.. The nuts and bolts part is the more challenging area.......

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2010
  6. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

i really need to do some garage purging myself... at least of the old deuce pieces..but u never know! :p blah.. lucked into an identical one for hers cheap...but it looks worn...tested good... so Im hoping to just swap the face plates

7. Fomoco8

That will work on the 70's styles,...I saved a few of them just for that purpose... Got a lead on an AM/FM Cassette I'm gonna go look at tommorow...