Calling All 69 Ranchero owners with Factory Tach

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by classic69ford, Jul 30, 2020.

1. classic69ford

classic69ford In Second Gear

Tach not working so I’m sending it out to get it fixed. My question is (see pic) the back of the Faria tach has these leads with an extender lead attached. Is his extra lead factory cause the other end was not attached to anything. My pink resistance wire goes from switch to fuse panel then becomes red w/yellow strip to +coil. Not like the 67-68s where the pink and red wire connect directly to tach. I’m unfamiliar with the 69s so if someone has a pic or can answer to where it goes (I can’t find the other lead) it would most helpful.
    1E7F4956-C0A5-433E-89B2-09773FC347CB.jpeg

2. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

I just happen to be doing a similar thing... I just got my cluster back from Instrument Specialties... and was confirming this same thing before I hooked up power to my "new" tach.

Looking at your picture, does not look factory. But should not affect functionality. Looks like you just have another set of connectors. The connector on the end should plug into a another connector near the firewall. From that connector (using mine as a reference), you should have a red/Green strip and a black that goes through the firewall to the engine bay. The Red/Green Strip should connect to the (Key Powered) Red/Green Strip that is in company in the wiring harness with the water temp wire, and oil pressure wire. Black goes to Pos side of the coil.

Attached Files:

3. classic69ford

Wow!! Thanks. This diagram all makes sense. It should look like this (see pic). Why did you pick IS to work on your cluster? Ever heard of D&M Restoration in SC?

Attached Files:

4. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I haven't - tell us more, please. What do they do?

5. classic69ford

www.dandmrestoration.com in SC for all types of gauge works, clocks and radio conversions. There's also S&M Electro Tech for just radios in Mn. Did I.S. do a good job? Satisfied with the work? I believe they are based in RI. Just wondering if you picked them because they are next door. I'm sending my cluster and radio out soon. Gonna have the radio converted to digital.

6. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

During my restoration. I went through my normal research process to find and decide on who I wanted to do the work for me. I believe I looked at D&M, and a few others including Instrument Specialties. Then while watching an episode of Graveyard Cars, they showed a dash and instrument cluster done by Instrument Specialties. Who does all their work for their MOPAR restorations. The quality is very impressive. I have a video of the clock, and will be posting a video of the cluster in my thread in the Stable. They are also restoring all the interior trim, and dying my dash, arm rests, sun visors, and horn pad. Not cheap by any means, but with what I have seen so far, worth every penny.