Car Cover?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Michael A, May 22, 2020 at 9:04 PM.

1. Michael A

Michael A In First Gear

Does anyone use a car [truck] cover for their Ranchero? The ones I've seen online are for Ford trucks, so I guess they'd drag on the ground? I don't have a garage and park outside, so thinking about getting one. Thanks.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

A few years ago, I was hassled by the city, and had to get a cover. Andrew (andrewok1) sent me one, and it was for a half-ton pickup. It fits well enough. You should spray it down with a silicone water repellent, and if you park it on ground instead of pavement, lay down some visquene, then roll your rig over it.

3. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

4. R.C.Heli Pilot

R.C.Heli Pilot In Second Gear

I have one from these people
    I like it seems good
    I have only had it a couple of weeks though
    carcovers.com

5. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Before we built the garage, I had one from this ebay seller, and it held up real well for two years in Oregon rain; no leaks at all. But the bed area would fill up like a swimming pool, so I kept a hose back there to siphon out the water. I passed it on to another Ranchero owner. Another thing I did was get an antenna with a removable mast.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Ranch...ash=item2c6bb7fdfc:g:EdUAAOSwm8VUrrR9&vxp=mtr

car cover.jpg

6. Michael A

Michael A In First Gear

thanks all. think i'll do it. don't want any rust or dust...

7. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

I've used California Car Covers on multiple cars - including my Ranchero - for years. A fine product and perfect fit. Also, they honor their warranty and I usually end up with one free with each purchase.

8. stabmasterarson

stabmasterarson In Second Gear

Canadian Tire has a really great one that fits my 72. (I realize it might be challenging to shop there if you're not in Canada but just sharing info.) Also, I use a piece of 3/8" plywood and cut it so it just sits on the bed rails in the back. If I'm going to park for a bit I put that down across the back and then put the cover on. Totally stops the swimming pool effect of using the cover in the rain! Highly highly recommend the plywood trick.

Huevos likes this.
  9. handy_andy_cv64

I ended up doing that with old fence planks. It really helps to prop it up, since water's 6.5 pounds/gallon.

TestDummy likes this.
  10. R.C.Heli Pilot

Water is 8.33 pounds per gallon

11. Huevos

How heavy is Heavy Water?

12. R.C.Heli Pilot

Just a little more
    water is densest at 39 degrees F
    the 8.33 pounds per gallon is at room temp :)

13. Huevos

Heavy water
    Chemical compound
    Description
    Heavy water is a form of water that contains a larger than normal amount of the hydrogen isotope deuterium, rather than the common hydrogen-1 isotope that makes up most of the hydrogen in normal water
    Is heavy water actually heavier?
    Heavy water is just regular old water, in which at least one of the hydrogen atoms has a neutron. So, is heavy water actually heavier than regular water? Yep, but not by much. You drink heavy water all the time.

14. handy_andy_cv64

Oops, you're right, gasoline is about 6.5 pounds/gallon! My head density mixed up my liquid densities!

15. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I bought this one on Amazon. None for Ranchero, but El Camino works. Had it a year now and no water or snow has gotten through. When you are buying one, remember 'water resistant' is to be avoided. In the bed I put a 4' long folding table to tent the cover, and which comes in handy when working on it (tools and stuff) and somewhere to place the cover when I go out cruising.

Tarp.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/CarsCover-Cu...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

16. R.C.Heli Pilot

Your excused :)
    not everybody is a retired plumber like me that needed to know it on a almost daily basis

17. handy_andy_cv64

Yeah, but I'm a disabled mechanic, and I should've recognized that I was stating incorrect info. I do that from time to time.

18. handy_andy_cv64

I used to have a card table for putting my tools on and it disappeared years ago, but that's a swell idea for tenting the cover.

19. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

It was like $30 on Amazon.

20. handy_andy_cv64

*rubs chin thoughtfully* "Hmmmmm....."