Carb advice for '73 w/ 400

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Brapattack, Nov 16, 2014.

1. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

I use 160Amp alternators and quality batteries. In the van I also have a temperature controlled 900CFM roof fan that automatically comes on to keep the van cool inside. Even with the engine fans, cooling fan, and leaving the headlights on for 8 hours, the engine will still start.
    The trick is to design the electrical system for the application.

2. Brapattack

Brapattack In Second Gear

Thanks for all the input guys, I wasnt getting notifications so I haven't caught up till now. I had thought about doing a patch job on the shroud, and I do have some aluminum and pop rivets around. Maybe i'll see if that helps things at all. Does getting an all aluminum radiator seem to help out? One with the electric fan on it even? I noticed the ones on summit didn't have a trans cooler, so I would also have to buy one of those if I were to switch.

Also, I still have all the AC crap under the hood but have never tried to get it working. I'm so used to not having it that I am thinking about just taking it all out. Removing that big manifold from in front of the radiator seems like it would help with my overheating.

Do you guys use any sort of cold air intake setups?

@AimlessMoto Thanks, I like it too!

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Having too much crap lodged in the condenser fins will affect airflow, in addition to crap that falls between it and the radiator. But you will have to remove the rad anyway to remove the condenser, so you might as well take the rad to be boiled out and repaired (if it needs it).

4. Brapattack

Brapattack In Second Gear

Good and bad news. Found a fan shroud for $25 yippeeeeee

While removing my condenser i scraped the radiator and sprung a leak booooooooo

5. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Yeah, worn those shoes myself. Your other good news, what you saved on the shroud should be enough to repair the radiator.

6. mo.herbfarm

mo.herbfarm In Maximum Overdrive

"Small cars don't draw that much amperage"

My Ford Fiestas, '78 and '80, had inadequate-sized radiators, in my opinion, the Germans likely knew it, provided electric fans which drew 20 amps. They were good little cars in most other respects. The C-V joints were huge, big as those used on the front-drive G.M.s like Toronado. I put way over 200K on them before selling them. mo.