Carb mess

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Seahunt, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Seahunt

Seahunt In Second Gear

Gents I'm now looking at my Carb setup and wondering what I have and what I can get rid of.

The engine runs as is.

But I have a lot of wires and vacuum hoses laying about and plugged or not hooked to anything. Electronic choke is not connected and may not be needed.

And it appears to be some sort of choke device mounted under the Carb (Disconnected) with a Vacuum Plunger and a shaft that goes under the Carb. Not sure what that is but its obviously not in use.

Attached Files:

2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Methinks the "some sort of choke device mounted under the Carb..." is an Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR).

3. Seahunt

Seahunt In Second Gear

I dont see how it would recirculate exhaust gasses. A vacuum hose goes to the vacuum plunger and it operates a shaft going into the throat of the intake.

4. thebruins

thebruins In Second Gear

there are two ports inside the carb spacer that the egr is mounted on. the vacuum controls whether the two are connected or not and if exhaust gasses are being circulated

5. 72GTVA

Do you know what year of engine you have in the vehicle?

6. Seahunt

Seahunt In Second Gear

Just took a look underneath it and it looks like your'e right. There is a metal tube coming off the exhaust manifold going to the bottom of the device. The metal tube has been cut in half and both tube ends sealed off. It appears the vacuum opens a valve to allow exhaust gas to enter the Intake. I wonder if I even need this?

7. 72GTVA

I don't know - depends on your state and their emission laws and applicability to your year. That written, probably not needed - but - the EGR spacer has established a geometry of you throttle linkage and such. You may be able to remove it and replace it with plain spacer, you may even be able to remove it and not experience binding linkage and such. A lot of folks will remove the valve and install a block off plate to seal it. Others like to use it as a heat sink to prevent percolating fuel and causing vapor lock.

8. Seahunt

Seahunt In Second Gear

Engine block code is D7BE 6015 CA....I believe its a 77 engine. In a 1964 Ranchero

Sounds like I should just leave it. Engine runs so no harm no foul. I'm in California but its too old for emissions, or Smog checks.

9. 72GTVA

Yes, D7BE is a 1977 engine s0 obvious a transplant. It wouldn't hurt to clean it up by removing non-operational items - or leave it. It's Your Ride.

Seahunt likes this.
  10. Seahunt

Seahunt In Second Gear

Thanks Bro.....I'll probably leave it until I do an engine rebuild or replace. It originally came with the 289 V8, but someone put the 250 I6 into it. I may revert to the 289 later on

I appreciate the Help........

11. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Suggestion: as long as the top and bottom gaskets do not leak vacuum, DO NOT touch it or the EGR valve. Make sure the attaching nuts are snug on both the carb and the spacer. Let it do everything it does other than admitting exhaust gases. When you have found a suitable replacement spacer and gaskets, THEN replace it. Obviously, a '64 car was never built with an EGR, so it is not needed. But don't mess with itt till you're ready to correctly replace it. As for the choke, it's better if it works, because it's hands-free, set and forget, when it works. Because the two pics don't show it, but the carb looks rebuilt-fresh, I'd say it just needs hooking up. The good thing is, you have an alternator setup, and in '77, the choke t-stat was run off a lead connected to the alternator wiring (the white/black stripe wire), so that, until the engine was running, and the alternator was charging, the choke would stay closed. Take a look in that alternator harness, see if there's an extra white/black stripe lead just hanging there.

12. Seahunt

Seahunt In Second Gear

I put in a one wire Alternator / Voltage regulator mod. So no wire for the choke. I'm in California so a choke may not be necessary.

The EGR valve w/spacer stays as you suggested......

But with that said I found a few spacers that presumably fit. But another question. They have a pipe running through for heater water ? What for ? If the heater is not on then no water flow, unless its for very cold weather and you've get the heater going full blast. And with the intake manifold so close the the exhaust manifold doesnt the carb already have heat issues ? Why apply more heat ?

Attached Files:

13. thebruins

thebruins In Second Gear

I would think the exhaust gases are way hotter than the coolant so it would actually cool the recirculated gases instead of adding heat.
    Someone else probably has the correct answer though, I'm not sure.

14. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yes, the coolant did two things: when the EGR was prevented from opening during cold start/operation, it had just enough warmth after running a minute or two to prevent throttle ice-up, then when the EGR operated, it cooled the exhaust gases. You can plug the ends of that line if it's separate from the heater lines, or replace the heater line with one hank of hose if it does. But you do have a '64, is there a heater control valve? Late '70s cars with the inline engines (like my dad's '78 Fairmont) were not equipped with a control valve.

15. Seahunt

Seahunt In Second Gear

I'll probably not bother with hookinh it up. California isant that cold so no need for it.